It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:15 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Global knife set wanted
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hello - my name is Justin. First, I need your help in compiling a a set of Global knives to make a well rounded set. I am closing in on age 60, but my past has encompassed being an Executive chef, Chef de Cuisine and private chef. I count on and appreciate well made tools. You know a chef's knife (I prefer 10" to 12" and a corresponding smaller knife), a boning knife, Swedish fillet knife, paring knife, vegetable knife, serrated bread/slicing knife, bird's beak paring knife, Santoku vegetable slicing knife (hollow ground), clever, butcher's knife, steak knives, carving fork, diamond sharpening steel, a sharpener, and a knife block and chef's case (I'm interested in the kind that's a larger case, more like a larger brief case that can contain a mandolin, knives, general tools for the traveling chef. I know there are different kinds of blocks. I prefer the style that has the same grip dots as the knives. I'll need to know if there's shipping or tax involved.

Thank you,
Justin

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Global knife set wanted
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Justin,

Are you in a hurry? If you are go here, pick out what you want and we'll ship it usually within 3 business hours.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/globalknives.html

If you're not stuck on Globals we have some really good knives on our site that I think you might enjoy quite a bit. If you're open to some suggestions let me know and tell me more about yourself and I'll recommend you some knives that will freak you out (in a good way).

The main thing I need to know is if you can sharpen on stones and if you're right handed and how much you want to spend on each knife. Then, we can give you some good choices. Also, tell me if you are open to carbon steel knives since we have some great knives in this general steel category. Finally tell me if you would like to try some wa handled knives.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

This is one of those instances where I want to beg the customer not to buy these. Nothing wrong with them but you could do sooooo much better with the same budget and have way more fun with the knives you buy. Getting one is fine but buying a whole big set like this is throwing money away.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I didn't really comment because I'm not a big fan of them...especially in set format.

So much better blades out there.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

We're slowly getting out of most of the Seki stuff. I have little interest in stuff like Global now since they're just too soft to perform well. It's frustrating to spend time sharpening one and then having the edge roll after a couple days.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> :lol: I honestly didn't even know you sold Globals. I clicked that link, and was like :? . My eyes must have filtered out that button on your knife list just as my mind filters out any thought of that junk.

JUSTIN <> I have the advantage of not being a CKTG employee, and yet, I have the disadvantage of embracing a lack of refrain in life which Adam was capable of. GLOBAL IS JUNK... PERIOD.. POINT BLANK. I was suprised CKTG still carried them, but they're going away for a reason.

I, like you, have spent my life in food service all the way up to Exec & Private on both hemispheres. Global is junk, and you're doing yourself a grave disservice to spend that kind of coin on that much junk. I'm sorry, but I can't refrain. If you are bent on Global, CKTG is going to offer the best pricing & their customer service is a quantum leap over any other vendors I've found, but PLEASE, consider buying some quality steel. We'll help you choose an appropriate steel, profile, handle, etc... anything you need; just please don't waste your money on Global anything... unless its for a garbage can to place them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:19 pm 

So Mel, tell us how you really feel. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> Come on, really.?! Even if you were bent on soft steel, how could you choose a Global over a Masamoto VG or even a MAC.?!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:52 pm 

Just a little sarcasm. If there is one thing I like about your post is the straight forward no holds bar approach you take. Leave the BS in the closet.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]