It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Home Use -- Konosuke or Takeda Sujihiki, or...?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:30 am 

Between the barrage of "Everyone has to own at least one Takeda" and the current Thoughts on a couple new knives thread, I'm rethinking things. Rather than hijack that thread, which is related to professional use and pretty focused, I'm splitting off here.

I was planning on buying a a Konosuke 300 mm sujihiki in White #2 (not Fujiyama) to serve as a slicer for home use, generally smaller things like flat iron, flank, and hanger steak (raw and cooked both), along with chopping/mincing that my Konosuke 240 mm funa-yuto is just a bit small for. It will come out for the Holidays and other "big meals" when I put up a roast (boneless) of one sort or another. I've got an older, asymmetric-grind, 300 mm Aritsigu gyuto that can do the chop/mince, and although it is stinkin' sharp, it is beginning to feel heavy now that I'm getting used to the funa-yuto. (My wife is also left-handed, but still goes for the Aritsugu quite a bit). Both the Aritsugu and the Konosuke funa-yuto can handle the small, thin pieces of meat, but not as effortlessly as I would imagine a purpose-built knife would.

Now, the complication comes in -- The Takeda 270 mm "yanagibi" is, from at least what I can gather from the CKTG pages and measurements of a specific Takeda Mark grabbed today, nearly as long (280 mm vs. 290 mm), a little taller, if anything (45 mm vs. 40 mm), and probably noticeably heavier (156 g from a review vs. 4.6 oz ~ 130 g). The Takeda is a tad under $50 more than the Konosuke right now. In either case, I'd be going with a custom saya, so that isn't a point for or against either.

Is the Takeda going to perform significantly differently than the Konosuke in a home environment for either both slicer and chop/mince duty?

If I don't go with the Takeda (or, even if I do)...

When my lineup was
  • 300 mm gyuto
  • 165 mm bunka/santoku
  • 150 mm petty
that 165 mm, flat-belly knife saw a lot of use when the 300 mm gyuto was too big, or I was lazy and didn't want to take out a bigger cutting board. Of all my "good" knives, that is probably the weakest, kurouchi over some kind of "blue steel" and an unstablized white-wood handle with plastic ferrule, perhaps something similar to the Yamashin knives, and one that some day I'd like to upgrade.

Here's a shot of that well-worn bunka beneath my Konosuke HD 240 mm funayuki/gyuto for reference

is there any experience with the smaller Takeda knives, such as:

Of course, the stable has filled in a bit, so there isn't that huge gap anymore between a 150 mm petty and a 300 mm gyuto, with a Konosuke 240 mm funa-yuto and a Konosuke 210 mm petty in there, so I'm not even sure there is a gap there.

If a Takeda is truly a "must have" knife -- any other suggestions as to where to fit one in?

sidebar -- Damn auto-correct keeps making it "tuna-yuto"

Post subject: Re: Home Use -- Konosuke or Takeda Sujihiki, or...?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Takeda is not going to perform significantly different than the Konosuke, no.

You have, currently:
240mm Kono gyuto
210mm Kono petty
300 mm gyuto
165 mm bunka/santoku
150 mm petty

Yes?

I'm going to assume you have a bread knife and paring knife as well.

I don't think any other knife is "necessary".

However, if I were to get another knife it would be a long suji....like the Takeda.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> Since you have the A-type for your chopping and it sounds like you really want this knife as a slicer, have you thought about a purpose duty Yanagiba? I picked up a Kaneshige White#3, and the grind on these knives are utterly awesome; whomever forged these is a Master.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kawh3ya30.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:43 am 

Thanks for the input!

Yes, I've got a Forshner/Victorinox bread knife, 10" chef's knife, and 3-1/4" paring knife, all of which get pulled out for the specific things they are good at doing (which is pretty rarely). I'm trying to find justification to buy one of Adam Marr's fantastic custom paring knives, as well as how to keep it from being used to open boxes and plastic food packaging.

I've got a Masamoto 210 mm yanagiba (a gift from a butcher/chef friend of mine) that does a good job on small things, but, for example, can't get cleanly through a piece of flat iron in a single stroke.

A longer yanagiba has crossed my mind, but fixing problems with single-bevel knives, especially small edge-to-spine ones, is more than I want to try again. I've also heard that when slicing "crusty" things the geometry of a sujihiki is a little better than that of a yanagiba. Of course, if there really is a great yanagiba at $180 instead of $320 to $370, that's $140 to $190 that I could put into another knife.

Is the grind on the Kanishige truly that good? I found their deba adequate, but not outstanding. It's got a couple little things that probably should be trued up, but they are in places that don't justify the cost to send to a sharpener with more skill than I possess.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]