It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: High dollar knife - what would you get
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 am 

Well I have been lurking around the forums now for awhile asking dumb questions and trying to help others where I can, hopefully not stepping on some of the greats toes, and I have found myself with a significant chunk of money to spend and I thought why not waste se of it on another knife or possibly two knives that I don't need. I am a lowly prep cook so I don't often have room for new knives in my budget.

Here is the deal, I am willing to spend upwards of $600 for two knives or possibly just one if I feel it is worth it. It will be a home use knife that only I will use. I am looking for my first Japanese knife or knives with traditional handles. I am looking at something like a takeda or something similar but I am not tied down to a particular bladesmith or particular shape of knife for that matter. Tell me what you would get or what you have and absolutely love and don't hold back. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

Post subject: Re: High dollar knife - what would you get
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:49 am 

get a custom. get a rodrigue, or a carter, or a harner, or a devin thomas.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:05 am 

franzb69 wrote:get a custom. get a rodrigue, or a carter, or a harner, or a devin thomas.

+1. Cant argue with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:02 pm 

He can get a custom but not from carter, he doesn't offer customs anymore, and any custom order does have a long wait time. I now that Devin's list is long and Pierre's to ( I'm almost at a year waiting on his list) I would suggest lurking around forums so more, maybe some one will put a custom up for sale, or a knife maker might put up a knife they just finished, that way you can skip the wait line. Pierre had a beautiful "line knife" that was up for sale not to long ago

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

For some reason Butch doesn't get enough love.

The man is an incredible artist, and his grinding skills are second to no one I've ever seen.

His gyuto's that he makes without customer input tend to run large.....large handles, wide blades, etc. But they're made fantastically well. I wouldn't skip a beat to buy one if I had the money and wanted a new knife. I own two of his knives and they're among the best I've ever used.....in fact, the nakiri is the best nakiri I've ever used and I've owned most all of the high end nakiri's in the world. :)

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/buha240gy.html

He's got several for sale on CKTG right now, but this one is my favorite.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:47 pm 

there are always used customs from carter. =D

could also check out luke of blood root blades!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:47 pm 

yah Butch does do great work, I only have one of his "Stabber" knives and it is an amazing cutter, holds an edge really well, and sharpens easily. I handled his nakiri ( didn't actually cut with it) and it really surprised me. It had some good weight to it, but just felt perfect in hand, balance was great to.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

JW <> IMO, I think dropping all your coin on a custom, any one knife for that matter, is phucking insane. As a prep cook, you have experience using a knife, and limiting your use at home will keep it safe & allow you to transition into the respect a high Hrc blade requires. Yes, all blades require respect, but you'll see.

Lotta questions here: laser, medium-duty, san-mai, carbon, etc., etc., etc...

As the question stands, I think everyone on the planet who has never used a Konosuke HD simply has no idea how utterly awesome the steel is, the grind is, the love of a laser is. Who wants to deal with carbon, when you can get a semi with all the benefits. Yes, there are differences, but they are really really minute...

Add a nice 150mm petty & you're in for a world of awesomeness.

Konosuke HD 240 Gyuto @$300 w/the saya... http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html
Kanehiro G3 150 Petty @$170... http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagipe15.html

You still have $130 left for 1 or 2 nice stone(s), or you could throw in a Richmond Artifex 270mm Sujihiki & still have cash left.

I just think you can get a whole lot more awesomeness for $600, than one Gyuto.

My $.02

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:52 pm 

Melampus wrote:JW <> IMO, I think dropping all your coin on a custom, any one knife for that matter, is phucking insane. As a prep cook, you know how to use a knife, and limiting your use at home will keep it safe & allow you to transition into the respect a high Hrc blade requires. Yes, all blades require respect, but you'll see.

Lotta questions here: laser, medium-duty, san-mai, carbon, etc., etc., etc...

As the question stands, I think everyone on the planet who has never used a Konosuke HD simply has no idea how utterly awesome the steel is, the grind is, the love of a laser is. Who wants to deal with carbon, when you can get a semi with all the benefits. Yes, there are differences, but they are really really minute...

Add a nice 150mm petty & you're in for a world of awesomeness.

Konosuke HD 240 Gyuto @$300 w/the saya... http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html
Kanehiro G3 150 Petty @$170... http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagipe15.html

You still have $130 left for 1 or 2 nice stone(s), or you could throw in a Richmond Artifex 270mm Sujihiki & still have cash left.

I just think you can get a whole lot more awesomeness for $600, than one Gyuto.

My $.02

The more I look at customs and think about what you are saying the more it makes sense. The Konosuke looks amazing and adding a petty or a honesuki or something of the like wood be great. As far as japanese knives and stones go I already have a couple great ones, a Kikuichi tkc 270mm gyuto which I absolutely love and the steel is amazing and a Mac Pro which is pretty decent and a nubatama ume 1k and a chosera 3k. I just have never owned a traditional Japanese knife or a carbon steel knife and I want to step it up in performance, steel, geometry, and aesthetics.

As far as construction I am open to San Mai and kurouchi finish or possibly even Damascus. I am partial to the takeda as I have heard great things about them and they look really cool and there is something about super steel.

Basically, recommend me a $300 to $400 gyuto that you love, a small utility type knife, and a higher grit stone that that will put a real fine edge on them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:56 pm 

These are my primary knives: Konosuke HD 270mm gyuto; Konosuke HD 300mm suji; Konosuke HH 150 petty. You could do worse.

Taken together a Kono three knife set will cost significantly more than your stated budget. FWIW, a Konosuke petty is overkill. So, first off the island. Unfortunately, the gyuto and suji combo is also more than $600. If you need to squeeze, go with White #2 for the suji.

Still too much? Instead of a suji, finish your sharpening kit with good 500# and 8K stones.

BDL

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next