It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nubatama second look
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:31 pm 

I have since had the opportunity to sharpen several more knives including those belonging to the top chef here in Halifax, his knives are extremely important to me and they undergo severe scrutinization upon return. This is my fourth time with them.
So the Nubatama stones I got from Ken have been unleashed in all their glory.

Here is my final review with close to 35 knives in,

Nubatama 150:
I had the opportunity to sharpen at the high end kitchen store here on Saturday so that brought some very dull knives to my hands.

I am now absolutely in love with my 150 stone, I even solved water issue, which really wasn't an issue, it just acted like a filter at first but now after a really good soaking of several hours, it will hold water on the surface for a little longer. It just disappear as soon as you apply the water now. Here is the stone and you can see a little water holding on for dear life on the surface.

Image.

Now I did jokingly ask Ken for the Eternal line of Nubatama's, ones that would not dish. Incredibly, after this amount of knives, I have not seen any dishing at all, and I have continually tested it for flatness. COOL.

The Ume 1k is the next one. It is now my favourite stone. At first I was doubtful if it could surpass the amazing 1k Chosera, but as I said, it is my favourite stone. This is not to say that the Chosera is not an incredible stone, it is, I love it but there is something about this UME and the edge it creates. This stones makes me feel like a better sharpener than I am.

The 5K stone is of equal quality, it is silky smooth, a really effective finisher. It leaves a very nice polished finish and an edge that I would confidently give to the most fussy chef, in fact I will do this tomorrow.

And the wondrous 5K

My line up has been for the Atoma 140, Nub 150, Chosera 400, Ume 1,000, Shapton Glass 2k and Num 5k.

I'm a happy man

Last edited by Sailor on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Nubatama second look
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hooha!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Excellent Review!!

Although the Nubatama stock is quite low right now, Mark is getting in plenty of the 150 Bamboo, 1k Ume Medium and 5k Bamboo in on this next boatload. I think this can make up a basic starter set for people to use for sharpening all kinds of knives and for the pro sharpener, it can add a valuable level of diversity to the current stone selection you already have.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:11 am 
Forum Moderator

I too love the few I have, the 120 removes any and all chips I have had to throw at it and if you need a bevel quick and hate belt sanders than this is the stone for you just remember the more water the better and rinse the knife before you take a towel to it or you will have scratches way above the edge, for me it was a learning experience but I am glad it wasn't a customers. Knowledge is power, now I also own a 6k and 10k which like the 2nd amendment you will pry these stones out of my cold dead hands. I really need an 8k so I can show the progression of the 3 stones rite now I have to use a 8k in Snow White or shapton pros or a norton 8k but the 6k and 10k are 2 of the best stones made and I don't see myself replacing soon. This is quickly being faded in as my go to line. My birthday is next week and maybe the nubatama fairy will drop on off since the other two are missing their brother. Peace to all and ken thanks for bringing those in. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:52 am 

Cool, now that I have them for a while my respect for them has grown. I love the feel of the 1K Ume medium , it grabs the knife as Jason put it I believe and that is great way to put it. Happy birthday friend, I hope you get that 8K

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:48 am 
Site Admin

We use that 150 Bamboo at the office all the time and love it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:29 am 
Forum Moderator

I have the 120 I have used it twice wish I would have got the 150 for just the fact I have to use more water and that scratching sound which I know it's just hitting the edge so I'm ok. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

I agree with the 1K Ume!! I used mine on 6 M390 knives, worked great before going to the Rika 5K! Worked pretty quickly, raised a nice burr, but the burr seemed smaller than what I get with my Bester 1200, so that is a nice thing. I think I have to get a 5K now; I love the Rika 5K, but it looks like the Nubatama 5K is also very nice!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]