It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Minimalist sharpening set wanted
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi

I am a chef & have a range of Japanese knives with hardness from HRC 58 to 64. I would like a minimalist sharping set.

I had my eyes on Shapton Pro 2000 & 5000. 2000 grit to start with as I normally sharpen before my knives gets too dull. My questions are:
1. Do you think 2000 grit too high? If Yes, I am happy to start from 1000 grit.
2. Is 2000 to 8000 too much of a jump please? As this will be an alternative to the 5000 grit. Having said that, I do feel at 8000, my knives lose some bites.

I plan to flatten these on 220-320 sandpapers, which I have been doing for a long time. Is this still OK for Shapton Pro stones please?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you.
J

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Minimalist sharpening set wanted
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi J.

If you want to use 2 stones and you are sharpening kitchen knives I recommend you use the 1K and then follow with the 5K. You could start with a 2K but it takes a lot more work to grind the edge with that stone than the 1K. Also you could do 1k-8K but I think you would get a better result with light pressure on a 5k to keep some of the teeth in the 1K edge you produce.

Your sandpaper flattening is no problem with the pro stones.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Can't do much except +1 Mark's recommendation.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:27 pm 

My recommendation would be for the Naniwa 2k green brick and a latte 400 or similar coarse stone. Chosera 400 pairs well with the green brick too.

8k is much too fine of a edge so unless you are sharpening a yanagi or slicer for fish cutting then its just a wasted step.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:46 am 

a standard king 1k/6k will be pretty good as well. then a latte 400 for bevel setting. you'd be good with that for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:22 am 

+1 on the King 1K / 6K approach.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:27 am 

yep then that cheap diamond plate on the site for flattening. you'd be pretty much golden.

lots of folks love the feel of those combo kings. even the straight 1k and the straight 6k stones from king (not combo stones).

great feel, can handle a decent variety of steels, will be a good way to start for a noob as well.

then just strop on plain old newspaper for refining. murray carter style.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:37 am 
Forum Moderator

J <> You see a couple different styles in the recos. Jason, being a professional sharpener, offers a no bones efficient & fast combo, and the Green brick does create an edge you would most likely never expect off a 2k. It leaves a nice mirror polish, but it still offers plenty of the bite you like. I do appreciate his logic.

The 1k/5k reco Mark & Adam echo is a functional grit progression that works so well it is the basis of the top selling set. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

The 1k/6k King is a proven combo. Come on, Murray hasn't pushed it forever cuz it doesn't work. They are very "comfortable" stones, and are quite unremarkable... which can be a good thing.

I am like you, in that, I don't let my knives get too dull before sharpening, and because of that I have found 1200 to be a great starting point. I get a little less cutting power & a little more refined edge to progress from. I enjoy the Bester, but I use a Nubatama 1200 Bamboo most often; its a big muddy brick for $75 that refines down really well. The 5K reco from here stands, and the Suehiro Rika 5k is just one badass damn stone. It is one of the most pleasurable stones you will ever use.

The Shapton Pros are hard stones, splash-n-go, and quick cutters. Very different than the King, Bamboo, Rika, but fantastic in their own right. A Shapton Pro set is a winner for sure, as well:http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro2pcset1.html

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]