It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why no love for the Richmond AEB-L laser?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:37 pm 

tklimek wrote:....And I do have a problem. :lol:
But I"m not alone here, and you know who you are!

I don't have a problem, I push that "Add To Cart" button quite easily. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

You should see my kitchen drawers and magnetic racks. It looks like I'm preparing for the apocalypse with all the steel I have laying around.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:01 pm 

Some ppl say the AEB-L steel cant be heattreated to 61 hrc in batches/mass production, it needs to be done one by one. so the hrc 61 in the Richmond series are not 61. More likely 57-58. and when sharpening deburing the wire edge is very hard. also the thickness of this knife is more like a german chef knife then a laser....

lol this is what some ppl say. and is one of the reasons why this knife is not so hot.
when some vendors run there mouth about others products it can get ugly.

i dont have any problems sharpening this knife or debur the wireedge. it takes a supernice edge and hold it good, the knife is very light and tappers down to nothing. its my to go knife.

what i think is, if you want a knife that performs outstanding for the price range its a no brainer. get one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:02 am 

Todd - I appreciate the pics of both knives along with the Takeda. I totally get where you are coming from and I've also been kicking the idea of a Takeda around for quite some time, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I guess it's just a bit too rustic looking for me. There are a few with custom handles on the site now that I've been eyeballing, but so far will power is winning out. At this point I'm trying to be less impulse driven and for that kind of coin I want to map out exactly what I'm looking for. I like the AEB-L steel and right now I think I'm going to continue seeking out knives made from this and other "similar" semi-stainless steels. I want something in a custom western handle for my next knife.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 am 

I have the aebl laser. My first experience with aebl was the 240 artfex and then I switched to using cck and fell in love but for work I got sick of carbon rusting and didn't like the smell. so Mr fanatic sold me his fanatic cleaver aebl and realized how sharp this steel can actually get. So I bought the laser as an upgraded to my artfex. Now I pretty much use the laser all the time. I still love my cleaver but it's nice to change it up. I look at other knives on the site I guess if I didn't make a cook wage I would buy other knives., so buying the laser was a splurge. but I feel like I can't get much better than this especially for working in a professional kitchen. Mark well done on your knives sir thanks for making my job easier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:13 am 
Forum Moderator

They are full of bunk if they say it can't be HT'd in batches to 61. I sent several AEB-L blanks to Peters (where Lamson sends their AEB-L) asking for 61 and I got rockwells of 60.5-61 on each of the 12 knives I sent. Devin does a special HT on his to get the 62.5, but they perform very well at the 60.5-61 that the Artifex get up to. I don't know what the AEB-L Lasers are spec'd out to since they are made in Japan, but I know the Artifex work very well at their rockwell hardness and they can be HT commercially to over 60 rockwell.

Don't get me started on the other forum! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:33 am 

Taz575 wrote: Don't get me started on the other forum! LOL

I've been wondering, what the heck is the deal with the other forum's mods? It's like this place is the great satan and is not even allowed to be mentioned. Is there an old thread on the subject?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

Long story, supposedly no one can/is allowed to talk about it. DM made his own forum (KKF) and constantly trash talks CKTG or anyone who does work for CKTG, often without even having correct information or even having seen some of the things that are discussed. He censored out words such as Richmond, CKTG, Nubatama, as well as numerous other words; some of the censors have been lifted with the new owners. DM blatantly accuses people of being "shills" for CKTG and then bans them, others are banned automatically because of an association with CKTG, still others are banned for liking CKTG products and saying so. Some of his comments border on slander/libel and are blatantly done to try to discredit CKTG and Mark and influence people to not shop at CKTG. Some of the things he accuses CKTG of doing, his own sponsors do to each other constantly or are guilty of themselves, yet CKTG is the bad place doing all of it. Bunch of "lemmings" as I have heard the forum described by many current members.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

"Long story...."

Understatement of the decade. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:36 pm 

WOW. That's too bad. He did a wonderful job on my knife some years ago, seemed like a nice enough guy. Thanks for the back story.

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next