It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Cutting boars question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

First off I know I need a new cutting board one from the boardsmith whoa basically my NC neighbor or a boos. I have a round end grain 2 sided thick board I usually use for veg and light stuff but I have these thick rubber gel style I have been breaking my proteins on and my knifes even with the slightest pressure digs in and I have to bleach and than run it through the dishwasher. I have had food poisoning before and it put me in the hospital for a week back in the early 90's and I don't ever want to be that sick again. My question is untill I get the bigger board should I just use the round one with one side for veg and the other for proteins and clean regularly. I don't like bamboo because its a grass and the glue dulls your knife and their not all that fast. Somebody give me their 2 cents worth and I will appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: Cutting boars question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:35 am 

I use a maple end grain block (I think Knife Fanatic has the same one in his videos) and I use that for just about everything except raw meat. I regularly treat it with mineral oil and have recently used a combo of oil and beeswax and oil with even better results. Never any issues by simply wiping it down with water or soap and water plus a rag wipe to clean off the soap. Any time it shows any type of drying it is time for another conditioning treatment (about once per month or so).

For raw meat, I have a simple plastic board I throw on top of my block and throw it in the sink or dishwasher to clean it. I don't have an issue with digging into either board and clean up is simple.

While many boards can be used on either side (mine included) I have added adhesive rubber feet to the bottom of mine and they don't stick very well (due to oiling both sides of the board). It is too heavy to flip and even if I did, I don't think it would be a good idea to regularly use both sides. The reason is the feet. . .

They will get in the way if I use the bottom side and if I don't use the feet at all, the side on the counter would not be able to dry properly and could actually create more harm than good. I would recommend finding a cheap plastic board to use for your meat. At least try it, as it is a very inexpensive solution that might just work. Any other option will be more costly . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:10 am 

I have had a boardsmith for well over a year and cut everything on it and generally abuse it. I have never had issues with food born illness as a result of cutting meat on it. i cut my veggies first, then my meat and then wash my board. A few months ago, I got tired of lugging the board to the sink(its a big one) and now use an Epicurean board on top of the Board Smith for raw protein. But I really cannot say enough about my Boardsmith.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:12 am 
Forum Moderator

I have a few Lone Star Artisan's boards that I use for proteins and veggies. Veggies get cut/prepped first, then I do the meats, then I wash the boards. No problems there!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 pm 

I have a large cherry board from Lone Star Artisans that I use for everything but raw meat. Similar to Matt, I have throw another board on top or work by the sink when I am taking care of raw meats and fish.

I had a boos side grain maple board before I got the lone star end grain, and I've been happy with the purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

I use a cutting board I made from maple for everything but raw proteins. We have several of those flimsy plastic deals that I put on the wood cutting board to cut up raw proteins. They're semi-disposable.....we go through a 3 pack about 3 or 4 times a year.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:24 pm 

I use the same thing Adam. I only do though because my board is so big and heavy it is a PITA to get to the sink and wash. When I had a smaller wood board I used it for everything including raw proteins without any trouble. I always washed it with soap and water when I cut raw meats on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 pm 

You're not going to get food borne illness cutting proteins and vegetables on a proper wood cutting board. Its all about the bio load. Most of the people in the world living today prepare their home cooked meals on a wooden cutting boards. A professional cooking environment is another animal. An end grain board or even edge grain, will make your prep process so more natural and organic feeling. Kinda like poly... boards are digital and hard wood boards are analogue.

Some rules I live by:
1.) Before I touch/take put of the refrigerator/reach for your product, wash hands. I know it goes without saying right. You'd be surprised.
2.) I rinse all meats throughly on a wire rack then pat try with a disposable towel on a clean tray for transport/prep.
3.) I submerge all vegetables in water in clean bowl not sink. Spin dry and or hand wipe/scrub round ones with warm/hot water.
4.) Wash wood board with warm water and mild soap if cutting proteins. They are sealed with mineral oil so not to wash off too much.
5. Prep vegetables first.
6. Don't leave vegetables/proteins sitting on cutting board. Move from tray to board, Chop/cut/slice product then move to mis en place bowl/clean tray. Wipe knife. Wipe cutting board. Wash board in warm water if proteins.
6.) The two most filthy, disease ridden place in your house is your sink and kitchen sponge. If you could live without either one of these, you could reduce the chances of getting food borne illness by 50%. Hard to give up a kitchen sink?

Ask yourself, how many people currently alive in this world are using wood to prepare their food? But you're special and know better, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:39 am 
Forum Moderator

Mucho bucho I appericate the info but the comment on the end was way the heck uncalled for and in no terms have I ever in life or on this form called myself special. I have no clue what I did to make you issue that comment but it won't fly long and we don't insult our patrons. Thank you for your info but lay off the insults I am no way insulted you. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:56 am 
Forum Moderator

I have decided to order a maple cutting board to match or complement my round maple cutting board. I appreciate the info from all and my decision was leaning that way before I wrote the original I just wanted a few input from most of the authors I thank you and will use this newly obtained knowledge and decide on what size to order next. Peace, Jmbullman

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next