It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:37 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Culinary Student knife set wanted
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am about to start in culinary school as well as a country club dining facility. I'm looking for a Chef Knife kit and I am curious as to what you may have to offer. I have copied a list and price that (another store) has offered students for my school. Would you have a kit similar to it available?

Our Price: $125.95

Product Details:

This is a specially designed set made for culinary students by Dexter Russell, the largest and oldest knife manufacturer in the United States.

Specifications:

(CC4) 10 Pc. Cutlery Case
(30401) 10” Professional Forged Butcher Steel Knife
(30403) 8” Professional Forged Chef’s Knife
(30402) 7” Professional Forged Duo-Edge Santoku Knife
(SG104B PCP) 3 ¼” Cook’s Style Parer
(SG140-12GEB PCP) 12” Duo-Edge Roast Slicer
(SG136NB PCP) 6” Narrow Boning Knife
(S102-B) 2 ½ “ Tournee Knife
(182125) Pocket Thermometer
(91500) Swivel Peeler

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

mark

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Culinary Student knife set wanted
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mark - I'm not going to diss Dexter Russell, but something has to give when you include that many knives at that price point. As they say - there's no free lunch.

I would encourage you to invest in a good entry level 240 Gyuto. You can do 95% or more of prep with this knife alone. If the country club where you'll be working has a tiny prep area or other circumstances that preclude using a 240mm, you might need to step down to a 210, but a 240 is much more versatile and preferred by professionals.

Check out this thread and follow it through to the end - lots of good info: good-starter-knife-t2758.html.

If you already have a heavy European chef knife, that could be your go to for tougher ingredients, reserving your Gyuto for the rest. If you don't, consider the Victorinox Fibrox 10" chef knife as a workhorse for rougher jobs where you don't want to risk damaging your Gyuto.

Victorinox also makes inexpensive, dependable parers and other models if you need to expand your kit inexpensively.

Just my .02

Post subject: Re: Culinary Student knife set wanted
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 am 

I'll diss Dexter Russel in a heart beat. The culinary school that I will graduate from in the fall offers the same exact knife set to it's students and they are See Ay Are Pea - CRAP. I'm not a knife snob by any means, but things things are cheap. The weight is bad, the steel is bad, they don't hold an edge for a damn, the geometry is all wrong. About the only thing they are good for is learning how to sharpen(cuz you'll sharpen them alot), they're inexpensive, and they come with a bag.

Trust me when I say you're better off getting some Victorinox, as previously mentioned. You're not going to find a better knife at that price point, and you're not going to want to skewer the chef instructor when they force you to make garlic paste(you'll see what I mean when you do it). You also don't need all the knives they sell to you. You can tournee with a parer. You'll need a chef's knife obviously. Add a boning knife, a bread knife, a bag, and a steel and you should be good to go. Might need a garde manger kit down the road. Can get a pretty decent one for $40 or so.

Even now most of my bag is still Victorinox. I've since bought a few other chef knives, but that is the only knife I have replaced and it still comes out on the occasions where I need a beater and don't want to mark up my good blades.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]