It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masahage Mizu
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:53 pm 

I am looking to add another 210 wa carbon steel gyuto and saw the Masakage Mizu on the Facebook page. How does the blade and grind compare to the 240 Moritaka that I have and like a lot? The cherry handle looks good and larger than the Mori. I am a lefty. I am also considering the Tanaka Sekio (got a good recommendation from Taz575) but it is out of stock.

Post subject: Re: Masahage Mizu
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Both knives you are considering are made by very good blacksmiths. I like Shigeki Tanaka's knives a lot and they're a good value. We just got the Mizus in and they look good from what I've seen but I have not had a chance to use one at home yet or sharpen it. So many knives to test, so little time..

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

These do look intriguing, but alas I haven't used or seen one to comment on.

The Tanaka's are very nice, for sure, though.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tanaka Sekiso 210mm. Just an awesome performer with a masterful grind, can't remember if it is a D or Oval handle though. Excellent geometry, takes and holds a wicked edge. The polished sides will have less friction than the KU finish and the slight ridges in the layers of damascus seen to help food slide off, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:32 pm 

Thanks, let us know your feedback on the knife when you get a chance to play with it. How would it compare to my Moritaka? The relatively flat blade shape is similar and the Mizu handle looks real nice from the pics. The Tanaka Sekiso looks like a proven winner. Hopefully they will be in stock soon. Might have to order both of them!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]