It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:38 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tojiros use stones?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,
I bought some Tojiro knives from you, and the tojiro sharpener. The knives are fantastic. Although I'm tempted, I can't seem to take the plunge into using stones, and the sharpener works OK, although I understand that even Tojiro doesn't recommend it. In any case, I was wondering if it would work better if the wheels were wet? Can that be done?
Also, is the Global sharpener much better?
Thanks very much.
Yours,
Paul

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Tojiros use stones?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Paul,

I'm happy you like the Tojiros. I recommend them all the time to my customers and most people enjoy them.

The little roller sharepners all work to a certain extent but I'm going to give you a pep talk here. LEARN TO SHARPEN WITH STONES! I know when you read forum and try to understand all the esoteric stuff people are talking about it sound like you need a degree in grinding physics to be able to put an edge on a knife but the truth is it's easy. Really easy. Cave men could put an edge on a stone using another hard stone to flake off an edge.

It's not expensive either. You can get a good combo stone for about $50 and you're good to go. Nothing else needed to start. Just put the knife on the stone and grind at a consistant angle. Flip over and do again. Give it a couple real light strokes back and fort on each sides to refine your grinding and remove any burr that formed and you are on your way. If you have questions or run into trouble come here and ask questions. It's a rush to put an edge on your first knife and most of us are jealous that you can still experience this first edge rush and we can't. So go for it and come back and beat your chest and tell us how easy it was and how sharp you got the knife. I promise it's fun!

Get this and have at it! http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:40 am 
Forum Moderator

+1

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I'm often worried that our nit picky analysis of sharpening and sharpening equipment scares newbies. A simple sharpening is so easy.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:07 pm 

If I can sharpen on stones anyone can do it, trust me. If you are anything like the rest of us crack pots here you will really enjoy it too. I was a little intimidated at first but just bought some stones and jump in. Wished I had did it years earlier!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:29 am 

I completely agree with all of the above advice. I knew when I purchased my first what I considered at the time to be higher end knife I knew that it would be worthless if I had no way to maintain the edge so a combo stone came in the mail shortly after and I descended into the world of knives and sharpening. It really isn't as hard as it seems and I am by no means an expert but I learned to put a pretty decent edge on a knife in couple practice sessions.

This particular video is what I felt lead to my success because I feel it is an easy technique to learn and recreate, just go slower than him.http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kielcasu27.html

Either way, you can start by practicing with crappy knives or practicing on something that doesn't grind away the edge of your knife like a piece of cardboard on a table top or a thick magazine or something where you can work on your technique without damaging your knife.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:37 am 

Use a Marker..you can't screw up using one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the detailed response.
I think I'm convinced. So, my next question. When I spoke to you months ago, your first recommendation was the large green brick, and I had also asked you about a 2 sided stone for about 50. In this one you mention a compound stone. Is that the green brick or the 2 sided stone? In any case, would you prefer one to the other?
And just to clairify: even if the stone is far preferable, and fun, would water improve the little Tojiro thing if one were in a hurry.
Thanks again,
Paul

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Yes if you want a do it all one stone solution the green brick will work.

If you want a cheap 2 grit progression than the combo stone is the way to dip your toe into the water. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

Either way will do the job.

There is no water reservoir in the tojiro hand held sharpener so you can't soak the little stones very easily. The minosharp one does have a way to add water to keep the stones lubricated. And yes they do work but once you get an edge with stones you won't go back.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:21 pm 

Can any of the lower priced natural stones be used as a one stone solution?
Thanks again,
Paul

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next