It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Honesuki which would you not choose
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:45 am 
Forum Moderator

No, I can convert them though and do up a new wa handle for it in various non stabilized woods. Shoot me a PM if you want to know pricing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:58 am 

Out of the three, the only pick IMHO is the Tojiro. It's a pure form following function kind of knife. Inexpensive, tough, and arguably better steel for the application than either the Fujiwara or Artifex. I have a couple of Tojiro honesuke. I keep one at home and use one interchangeably with a Kikuichi at work. If you want a wa handle, the Artifex is going to be a better option since you don't have to mess with the bolster if you want to convert it. I love wa handles, but this isn't one of those knives where I have a particular preference. I just want a knife that gets it done day in and day out without any issues. So far, with the Tojiro, I haven't found anything lacking. It just delivers and I don't have to worry or baby it which is exactly what you want in a rough and tumble blade.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:58 am 
Forum Moderator

The Artifex will take and hold a much better edge and the steel is less chippy against bones. The handle on the Artifex is much nicer than the Tojiro; I had the Tojiro and sold it once I got the Artifex.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:55 am 

Taz, I'm surprised to hear that you've had issues with chipping on the Tojiro. I've been using them for the last six years or so and haven't had any problems. I find that mine take a very good edge and deliver exactly what I need of them. I've been very satisfied with their performance. To be fair, the handles on the Tojiros aren't anything to write home about. They're utilitarian to be sure. Even just from looking at photos, I have no doubt the Artifex is better in that department. I stand by my recommendation, but I'm glad to hear you're happy with the Artifex. If I have reason to pick up a new honesuke, maybe I'll give one a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:50 am 
Forum Moderator

My Tojiro was one of the older ones before they switched to VG-10 IIRC. I have had issues with other Tojiro's and other VG-10 being chippy and the edge holding wasn't all that great. The Artifex takes a cleaner edge and holds it better, especially a toothy edge. Handle is nicer on the Artifex as well.

It's good that yours holds up well, but AEB-L has outperformed VG-10 hands down for me.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2