It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Thinning behind the edge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:13 pm 

Yes, both those shots of the European style blades are perfect examples. Now try lifting the spine just barely above the stone so the secondary edge clears but the bevel shoulders are making contact. Keep gentle pressure on the opposite side of the blade near the bevel shoulder while grinding and stop/check progress often. You'll develop more and more sensitivity and accuracy as you progress, almost being able to feel what part of the blade is contacting the stone. It's a fun journey.

Josh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:22 pm 

The spine is not flat on the stone while I am doing this, I do have it lifted, but obviously very little. When I eventually thin one of my better knives (one whose blade I may not want scuffed up) I will give it a shot. I just feel like I do not have that much room to play with, as I sharpen pretty steep.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:12 pm 

You will soon realize that all blades are not perfect they look better polished up. Easily found out when you thin the primary bevel. What I found works for me. Work the secondary edge where I want it. Then blend it all in progressing in finer grit stones, strop till I get the finish I want. Then just a few passes the stones and strop on the cutting edge. Done.. Oh yeah a Sharpie is you friend..lol
If you get the spine or anywhere else just do the same..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm 

Maintaining your own blades is one thing, however if you decide to showcase your skills on friends blades, or take on clients, you'll want the ability to grind steel accurately in the desired areas...especially if it's a coated blade (I.e. Strider, Emerson, and many others) that have become so popular with today's field and pocket knives, where people pay a premium for the fancy digital-camo finishes, black outs, etc. Swipe the spine or secondary on these babies and it'll be a different story.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:04 pm 

LucaBrasi wrote:When I eventually thin one of my better knives (one whose blade I may not want scuffed up) I will give it a shot.

Yeah my problem is I already took this dive before I had the experience under my belt. The knife in the picture I posted is a Kikuichi TKC performance 270mm gyuto, a 200+ dollar knife and I scuffed 'er all up. This wasn't the first knife I tried to thin but I still could have waited a few months especially because it is the thinnest knife behind the edge that I own and or have used to date, also the best steel. I am starting to realize that I don't care because my knives are purely for professional use and they get damaged at work either way. As long as the edge I am attaining is improving, and indeed it is, than I must be doing something right.

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3