It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Why no love for the Richmond AEB-L laser?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:52 pm 

I'm curious why there is so little talk about the stainless version of this knife? I love the Super Blue stuff as much as the next guy, but I thought AEB-L was supposed to be a hot steel these days. I've had mine for about a month now and am really enjoying it, but what's so very nice is being able to walk away from the thing during dinner and not having to worry about discoloration. It's still as shiny as the first day.

So, what's the deal? Why is there so little discussion around this version of the knife, when people are lining up around the block for the carbon version?

Post subject: Re: Why no love for the Richmond AEB-L laser?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:58 pm 

Because a 240mm AS is $20 cheaper. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:17 pm 

I'd like to see a 240 suki and or a nakiri/santoku in the aebl.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

You know, I think it has something to do with the fact that the AEB-L Laser launched before this forum was up and running, as well as maybe just a better launch from video or other advertisement. Also, seemingly the hype surrounding Aogami Super (and it is warranted) makes it sound sexier. But rest assured, the 240 Richmond Laser in AEB-L is actually my go to gyuto at home, and it gets used a whole bunch. My everyday knives consists of the 270 Fujiwara suji, 240 Laser, Tojiro white #2 nakiri and petty, Tojiro Aogami Deba (now being replaced much of the time by Shun Blue honesuki), and a custom personal 210 gyuto that has an extremely strong edge used for splitting things and frozen stuff.

The knife is actually a hair thinner overall than the AS version, and like you said, the corrosion resistance of AEB-L makes it very attractive. I actually prefer the AEB-L one in many ways due to this simple fact. Otherwise, both knives are extremely good performers.

I only wish I would have had one while I was prepping in a professional kitchen. Would have made life a LOT easier. :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

That fujiwara was the first knife you bought from me Shaun.

You did that quicky video of opening the box and little did you know it would start a business between us!

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

And what a awesome ride it has been too. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:02 am 

I got the AS Lasers because apart from the AS Steel, I thought the AEB-L laser was an older design and likely not as good performance wise. As it turns out, I'm looking for a new knife in a less reactive steel and am looking at the AEB-L laser.

How does the AEB-L lasers cutting performance compare to the AS Laser?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:25 am 

branwell - I can't compare the two for you, but what I can say is the AEB-L is a joy to use. Sharpens up easily, though after the first round of sharpening I had a wire type edge that showed up pretty quickly, which I thought was a bit strange as I've not come across that before. I'm perfectly willing to accept user error as my sharpening skills are far from expert. Put it through an abbreviated touch up sharpening session and no longer have that issue. The knife is a "fun" knife to use, goes through tomatoes, onions, peppers like butter and so far the second round on the stones seems to be holding up very well. I bought it in the 210 version and couldn't be happier. Absolutely no regrets or upgrade envy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:43 pm 

The Richmond Laser (AEB-L) is a real laser. It is thin, light, flexible and very lively. Despite its name, the Richmond AS Laser is not quite a real laser. Even though it's almost as light and thin as a laser, because it's san-mai, it's stiffer (good thing) and doesn't feel nearly as good on the board in the cut.

San-mai, even Takeda san-mai, bothers the hell out of some people, including me; others not at all.

To a great extent you're talking about changing one, light, thin, easy to sharpen, decently profiled knife for another. It's hard to say whether the swap will make an improvement because a great many people don't notice the difference in feel, and a great many who do notice don't care. If you have the opportunity to fool around with some good single steel chef's knives, see if you don't like them better -- as a class -- than your AS.

BDL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:50 pm 

Snipes....

The AEB-L Richmond laser was the first knife I bought from Mark over a year ago. When I would reach for a knife out of my block, that would almost always be the knife that I would grab. It's great knife and a good value. Subsequently and within a relatively short time period, I purchased the Richmond AS laser and one of the Takeda 240 custom handled ones Mark had. Why did I purchase the AS version and then about a month later the Takeda?

1. Well clearly it's evident that I have a problem (one that appears many on this forum share). :D
2. I read the reviews and watched the videos for the AS version and got sucked into the hype. (Thanks a lot Mr. "KnifeFanatic")
3. As far as the Takeda, about the time I purchased the AS I was starting to think that I really wanted to get a more "custom" piece, and out of serendipity, Mark had posted these custom handled Takedas on the "What's new" section of the website. Funding happened to be available so I grabbed one. A hand forged "Aogami Super Steel" blade from a well respected master blacksmith with a beautiful custom handle. Some call it coincidence, I call it fate.

That was my last purchase. When I proudly displayed my new purchase to my wife, she simply said "I thought you already had a knife". :shock: I just stared at her blankly while in my mind I laughed my a** off for 20 mins. Luckily my inner filter kicked in and I didn't say what I was thinking which was "Next time you are buying a new pair of shoes I'll mention that I thought you already had 1 pair of high heels". :lol:

Originally I was thinking of selling my original AEB-L to help subsidize the cost of my new *tools*.

My AS and Takeda had been sitting on my cutting board since I don't have room for them in my block (yet). I recently went on a trip and had put them in a drawer. When I came back from my trip I needed to prep some potatoes for dinner, I just grabbed my AEB-L out of the block since it was handy. At that point I realized it would be an absolute shame to get rid of it. I cuts like a dream and is easy maintenance and feels so agile I then pulled out my AS and my Takeda and finished prepping the potatoes using them all for comparison. Each of them has a very distinctive feel and I truly enjoy them all. Although I must say, I actually the most comfortable with the AEB-L. It's kind of hard to put my finger on why, maybe because I had been using it for a lot longer than the other 2.

So I still have plenty of love for the AEB-L version. What can I say, I'm a "giver".

And I do have a problem. :lol:

But I"m not alone here, and you know who you are!

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

P.S. And in the end, just as a side note, my wife can buy as many high heels as she wants, I'm jus' sayin'...!! :twisted:

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next