It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: F Dick Polished Steel. Why is it so smoooooooth?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Erica, I'm no expert but you shouldn't need a lot of pressure during sharpening. Some real experts here have said that they exert around 1 to 2 Lbs of pressure most of the time, and less & less pressure as they finish on a particular stone and do a few stropping strokes to help deburr the edge. You need to let the stone do the work. If you are pushing hard, it will be hard to maintain consistency in your angle and you'll fatigue much too quickly.

Maybe Jason B., Ken, Shaun, or Adam et al. can weigh in here on their technique.

The 1K and 4K Glass stones are great stones, but they are very hard and definitely reward consistent and exact technique and punish the opposite. It is my opinion that if you can create really nice, correctly ground edges on the Shaptons, you can sharpen well on anything.

Once you get quite good at sharpening you should be able to knock out great edges on your knives pretty quickly - most definitely not all day :-).

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:23 am 

Yeah, pushing hard is good when grinding but not when you want to make it sharp. Your last few strokes on a stone should always be feather light.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Ok, using a 1K King by itself and then using a rod for touch up. I think we can do better than this.

If you have the Mac rod I would recommend continuing to use that. I like it better than most rods we sell including the idahone which was mentioned. That should be your only touch up rod at work. Forget strops for touch ups at work since they don't survive commercial kitchen environments very well.

The King 1K will work fine but adding a stone or two can speed your work and make your edges a lot better. Getting a low grit stone like the latte 400 will make grinding an edge and getting that first burr very quick and will save you time and energy. Then go to your king and you won't have to sharpen nearly as long with it. Then finish on a 5k-6k stone like the suehiro rika or the arashiyama. Send back the polish steel and trade for these two stones for about the same price as your rod and I think you will get much better results on your edges.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:33 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:Ok, using a 1K King by itself and then using a rod for touch up. I think we can do better than this.

If you have the Mac rod I would recommend continuing to use that. I like it better than most rods we sell including the idahone which was mentioned. That should be your only touch up rod at work. Forget strops for touch ups at work since they don't survive commercial kitchen environments very well.

The King 1K will work fine but adding a stone or two can speed your work and make your edges a lot better. Getting a low grit stone like the latte 400 will make grinding an edge and getting that first burr very quick and will save you time and energy. Then go to your king and you won't have to sharpen nearly as long with it. Then finish on a 5k-6k stone like the suehiro rika or the arashiyama. Send back the polish steel and trade for these two stones for about the same price as your rod and I think you will get much better results on your edges.

+1, although I like my Idahone. :mrgreen:

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2