It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:16 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Artifex Wa Gyuto Question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Good evening Mark:

Hope you enjoyed your holiday! Thought I was done bugging you with questions, but one more came up. I was just about to place my order when I saw the gorgeous new Artifex wa-gyuto on the homepage. I was quite sure that the AEB-L western style 210mm was the right choice, partly because I'm a home cook with small hands, and partly because my main cutting board is 18 x 12 which feels comfortable with an 8" knife. Having said that, I'd love a wa handle. Do you have a recommendation on how the two knives compare / contrast? Would 240mm feel crowded given the cutting board space? I recognize the steel is not nearly as good on the wa-gyuto, and the profile is distinctly different (could be good, could be bad). I'm open to suggestions. Based on your comments, I'll be placing my order tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of your help!

---

Bryan

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Artifex Wa Gyuto Question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bryan,

Let me compare the two knives head to head for you. This will help others too. These are how I would rate them against one another.

Steel Hardness: Artifex Western (this helps with edge retention)
Steel Toughness: Artifex Wa (this helps with resisting chips)
Profile: Artifex Western (I prefer the shape of this knife a little over the wa)
Weight and balance: Artifex Wa (I like lighter wa handled knives)
Grind: Artifex Wa
Out of the box edge: Artifex Wa
Aesthetics: Artifex Wa (I don't like the large logo on the Wa which we will be changing soon but they're nice looking with really sweet handles you never find on a lower priced knife)
Price: Artifex Wa (the 240 is less currently but that will change with the logo in the next month)
Durability: Artifex Western (the handles on these are nearly indestructible)

These are both really popular knives. The price point on them is excellent and you get a lot of knife for your money for either one.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Bryan - the 240 Artifex Wa Gyuto is a really cool knife and a great value. Check out my review on the product page. I love the Funayuki type profile of this knife. It's light, pretty thin, cuts very well and the fit/finish is very good on the blade and the handle. You should have no problem using it on an 18x12" board. I often use it on a 12x12" board with no problem. The steel will take a good edge, but it will probably require touchups (stropping/steeling) and light sharpening more often than AEB-L. If you are a home cook with normal amounts of prep to accomplish I think the edge retention should be OK for you. I've been stropping mine on a Suehiro Rika 5K stone for maintenance with good results.

Do it man - you'll love it!!

Last edited by SteveG on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you're a knife nut, after a particular steel.....the Artifex Western in AEB-L is a great choice.

If you're not a knife nut, the Artifex is a better out of the box knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:26 pm 

On the length, a 240 mm gyuto is very comfortable on a typical 12"x18" cutting board, at least in our home. Though it's only about an inch and a half longer than an 8" knife, the usable length of the edge is a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:36 pm 

Done! Pulled the trigger on the wa-gyuto. Really is a gorgeous knife, and from everyone's comments I think I'll enjoy the length. Thank you all for the feedback, it was very much appreciated. Also a big thank you to Mark. Top notch customer service!

I'll be sure to drop a review once I've had a chance to put it through its paces.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Bryan - Awesome! I sure you'll love it! Looking forward to your review...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]