It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Santoku For The Wife
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:22 am 

1. Are you right handed? Yes and prefer a 50/50 grind for my limited sharpening skills
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Santoku
3. What size knife are you looking for?
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? SS
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Western
6. How much did you want to spend? Prefer under $100 for this one, but willing to look at sub $150 if there really is a big step in performance/quality
7. Do you know how to sharpen? I think some may say yes, others would say no.... :D

Looking for my next purchase. The wife really likes the Santoku's so looking for one as mentioned above. Let me know your thoughts. I'll be honest, there were a lot of choices that fit above so hoping you guys can help narrow it down for me so I can look at them more intelligently.

Post subject: Re: Santoku For The Wife
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:07 am 
Forum Moderator

Tojiro DP, Richmond Artifex, and Fujiwara FKM would be the ones I would look at. VG-10 isn't an easy steel to sharpen and doesn't hold an edge very well IMHO. The Richmond Artifex will take and hold a better edge easier, but some say they are thick behind the edge and they will benefit from thinning them out a bit. The Fujiwaya FKM Santoku will have a little softer stainless steel and will take a nice edge fairly easily, but won't hold that edge as long as the Artifex will, but it is thinner behind the edge for easier cutting. F&F is about the same on all with the nod going to the Artifex for having the spine and choil rounded a bit. The Tojiro and Fujiwara are pretty good, but there may be sharp edges on the spine and choil more so than the Artifex.

I would say Artifex or the Fujiwara. Both are good knives that will work well. The Artifex is listed as 8oz and the Fujiwara as 5.8oz weight wise. The Artifex is a little thicker at the spine and has a slightly longer blade.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:08 am 

I will tell you that I just bought a Richmond Artifex santoku and I should have it in a couple days. If you are willing to wait a week or so I can give you a review of it. I am by no means a knife expert but I am a cook by trade and own and use several $200 plus knives daily, and will definitely be putting it through it paces. I have heard great things about these knives and the steel and I know the service at CKTG is top notch. I would bet the knives ain't to shabby either, otherwise Mark wouldn't slap his name on the side. Also santoku is one of my favorite styles of knife, especially in a longer version as the Artifex is.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:00 am 

The Sakai looks like a very elegant choice. Seems like a pretty good deal too. I'm going to take the dive into the Richmond line myself at some point.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadahasa18.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:46 pm 

I would recommend the Tanaka Damascus or the Hiromoto but they are both out of stock, but the Tanaka appears to be worth the wait. Either way, never used either knife or brand. I have a mac pro santoku that I absolutely love but it would probably be too small as an all around knife. I just received my Richmond and it appears to be a great knife for an at home cook. It is pretty sharp OOTB which matters a lot to at home cooks because most don't know how to sharpen, I shaved hair off my arm quite easily and push cut some paper with it. I also cut some bell peppers with it and it glided on through and as many know the membrane on bell peppers can really show you how sharp your knife is. It also has fairly nice fit and finish seeing as how the choil or spine is rounded, feels better on your hand if you pinch grip. All and all, pretty good knife especially for 70 bucks. I will report back on how it performs at work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:29 pm 

Good to hear. Thanks all for the recommendations. Had a couple unexpected bills the last couple weeks so this is not forgotten, but slightly delayed. The rounded spine/choil is going to be a big deal as the wife doesn't like my Hiromoto gyuto for that reason. I need to send it to Shaun just haven't had the time or funds for the work. Keeping an eye on the closeout items too in case something pops up in the mean time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Diesel - are you talking about sending it to Shaun for his thinning process? You can easily smooth out the choil and spine near the handle, only takes a few minutes. I use 400 grit sandpaper (320 should work) and cut a 1" wide strip. Put the knife in a vice with a rag or something for cushion with the spine up/edge down. Run the strip back and forth over the spine holding the ends about 30/45 degrees out from the blade face - covering the area where want to smooth the finish. Do the same process for the choil/neck area.

Work slowly and check that you're not taking too much off. It doesn't take long to make these areas much more comfortable during use. You probably won't need to really round it off - you're just taking the sharpness off the edges of the blade in those areas to your comfort level.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:58 pm 

Yes I'm referring to his thinning process. I just haven't gotten the time to hit it with sandpaper to do the rounding. Guess that statement earlier was a bit convoluted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:18 pm 

For rounding the choil I hold the sandpaper just like SteveG said but I go from side to side, kinda like an old fashioned shoe shine technique. Then once I feel it is rounded enough I do forward and backward strokes across the entire blade to even out the scratch pattern a bit. I feel the shoe shine technique gives the choil a more rounded feel but that is just how I do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jwesly1 - Exactly! Shoeshine is a great analogy - that's how I do it too. I just slide up and down the spine while "shoe shining" to cover the area I want and even out the sanding.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next