It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Help me find my 6K Zen please.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:54 am 
Forum Moderator

Sorry to keep going here, but I am cutting up a Meara for the EP so I will have some Meara tomonagura. This might change your perception of the Meara to a softer mud that is more to your liking. Remember than by using a Tomonagura you are building up mud but not by wearing down the toothy scratch pattern of the previous stone on the knife.

Another approach might be to go with a nakado or middle grit stone - a bit coarser than the Meara, like the Tajima. I have a feeling that what you are liking is a natural stone finish, giving you that 'toothiness plus refinement' effect.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:06 pm 

You are too funny Ken :lol:

I'll definitely try some of those options. Much appreciate you suggesting them.
Do you have any of the slurry stones you mention and or the Tajima on hand? The only other natural I have is the Aono Aoto. I do have the CBN 1.5 so will try that.

Mean time, I'll also try rubbing some of my high grit synthetics on it and see how that goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes I do have all of the options I mentioned.

"Mean time, I'll also try rubbing some of my high grit synthetics on it and see how that goes."

EEK! Well I wouldn't have thought of it, being a purist in a selective sort of way, but it might yield something interesting.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2