It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: New to carbon steel, need advice on rods/stones
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:28 pm 

Just received my new fujiwara fkh-10 and am of course interested in maintaining its edge. I have only ever owned/maintained German style stainless steel. I currently have a fine grit diamond steel (1200, I believe) but I've heard not to use it on carbon steel. I also have a 800 grit ceramic steel. I am interested in purchasing a new honing rod: either a finer grit ceramic or a polished smooth steel. Any ideas or advice?

I am also interested in picking up one or more sharpening stones. I am relatively proficient at their use but have never owned my own, nor sharpened anything without a 50/50 edge. Advice on stones or particular technique?

Post subject: Re: New to carbon steel, need advice on rods/stones
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:01 pm 

I don't own any carbon knives but I do use japanese steel and I would recommend the MAC ceramic honing rod, it is a bit expensive but I feel it is well worth it. I was concerned at first taking it to and from work and possibly banging it up at work but it seems pretty tough as I have had it for about six months now. Also it is extremely fine, at somewhere around 2,000 grit.

As far as stones go I would start with a solid 1K stone and just use that for now until you improve your skills. Based on a thread that I just read I would recommend a King 1200 stone or maybe a Naniwa SS or possibly even a Chocera or a Nubatama. I kind of just went in an order of cheaper to more expensive. I would just go with the King though because from what I have heard stones are all about preference such as hard or soft, muddy or not and so on and so forth; your sharpening skills will determine what kind of performance you get out of your stones unless you are a professional sharpener.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:16 pm 

I would agree in the use of a ceramic rod.

For stones I like a Aoto in a few different styles but the Naniwa 2k "green brick" is a great finisher on these knives. I typically use it in conjunction with a 400 chosera.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:56 am 

+1 to green brick...I use it as a 1-2 punch with 400 latte

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:46 am 
Forum Moderator

"As far as stones go I would start with a solid 1K stone and just use that for now until you improve your skills. " Yes, this is a first step. It is too easy to jump to a higher grit level without squeezing maximum 1k level performance, corrupting your sharpening style. You can always add more fine stones from this starting point and more coarse stones as you need to repair your edges.

I would suggest the 1k Nubatama Bamboo Gold stone or the 1k Speckled Ume Medium hardness stone. The Bamboo gold is a bit harder and cheaper and an underrated stone of the two. If your needs for portability are high, consider the Shapton GlassStone 1k. A bit harder and more demanding of a higher level of precision. There are other choices but these are my favorites.

An aoto would be an excellent choice or 2k Ume but these are softer stones and might be a bit more demanding of skill on a beginning sharpener. I'd suggest the 1k to start.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nuba1kgo.html

While we all have our preferences, I do feel that starting off with a stone that is easy to use makes a beginner's level of satisfaction in achieving a result more likely. I would avoid stones that are too soft or hard for this.

While there is no restriction in using the ceramic or diamond rods you mentioned, I feel the increased precision that you can achieve with a stone sequence will serve you well in determining the actual shape of your edge more precisely than with rods, both for your new knife and your German knives.

Your choice of stones is a separate decision from dealing with edge asymmetry, which is a far simpler issue than one might think given all the misinformation about this topic floating around on the net.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]