It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:33 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Need knife recommendation
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Of the four you listed, I'd get the Takeda every single time unless I already owned one.

The others are nice as well, but Takedas hold a special place and they're made extremely well by a small shop.

That style of knife is all they make and that's the steel they specialize in. They're very good with the steel and barring a fluke, they make an incredible knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:24 am 

Adam- This is what I've been hearing from all the reviews and research I've been doing. I've been pretty used to knife that doesn't have such a tall profile but then I saw the Sasanoha version with a much lower profile. Which do you prefer?

re: Of the four you listed, I'd get the Takeda every single time unless I already owned one.

The others are nice as well, but Takedas hold a special place and they're made extremely well by a small shop.

That style of knife is all they make and that's the steel they specialize in. They're very good with the steel and barring a fluke, they make an incredible knife.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:33 am 
Forum Moderator

I've never held the Sasanoha, but I'd pick it over the stock in anything longer than 240mm for sure. 240 and under, I don't know, hard choice. I like wide knives and I like narrow knives. Just one, the Sasanoha probably.

210mm though, the stock gyuto profile was one of the nicest knives I've owned.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:10 am 
Forum Moderator

I had a sasanoha 240mm here for a saya. I like the size/profile much better than the typical tall Takeda's, but it seemed pretty thin and flexible to me. Nice and thin behind the edge though! Construction was nice as always with the Takeda's.

I have a Richmond AS Laser 240mm and really like it. My Tanaka is my favorite knife so far, but the Richmond AS has been performing just as well lately and now I have 2 favorite 240mm gyuto's!

I just got a TKC here to rehandle and it's crazy thin behind the edge. It may even be thinner than some Kono's I've seen! It's getting converted to a Wa handle, bolster removed :) I can see why people like these so much!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:48 pm 

I submitted a post but for some reason it never took. I am the original requestor. Mark posted this on my behalf. I have his artifex 210 gyoto in m390 and I want something similar but with a taller blade and a longer octagonal handle. As for price point, I paid 135 for this knife and I have it sitting ready to return...but only if I can find something suitable to get in exchange. I am willing to go a bit more say upto 65 bucks more or so tops. I have done some reading on steel so I am really keen (sorry for the pun) on sticking with m390.

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:17 am 

taz575 wrote:I just got a TKC here to rehandle and it's crazy thin behind the edge. It may even be thinner than some Kono's I've seen! It's getting converted to a Wa handle, bolster removed :) I can see why people like these so much!

That sounds awesome!!! My TKC is my favorite, wish I had a Takeda though.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2