It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: >> SPYDERCO <<
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:35 am 
Forum Moderator

All the new steels are the only thing I miss out on in my distaste of the new design. I would really love a straight edge ZDP...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:37 am 

ok lets see what all the fuss is about :) just orderd one. thought the price was pretty good at 78 bucks shipped to sweden..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360678006454?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:41 pm 

my fav smaller spyders are the cricket the Dfly is not bad too and the walker CE was my back up for years loved tht 50/50 combo edge. for a larger knife its hard to beat the millie i have 3 or 4 of them and had a para too tho now days i dont carry spyders as much since i make my own.

2 of my dressy spyders are the comp lock shell inlay visiuvuis and the rootbeer shell native

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yah, that dragonfly is SMALL. I hope your hands don't dwarf it Mr. M. The smallest I could ever go is the Delica.

I'm online w/Butch whereas I dig the 50/50, but I have all second-generation Enduras http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Spyderco-Original-Endura-C10PBK-G-2-Steel-with-original-box-/350758874110?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item51aadbabfe which is basically the "Millie" http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-C36GPSE-MILITARY-G10-FOLDING-KNIFE-COMBO-EDGE/330459071945?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D8514274945866398813%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D350758874110%26, but a more manageable size for EDC. Plus, in Florida there is a 3.25" blade law on "pocket knives" of which the Millie is 4". Furthermore, I never could resonate with the lock on the Millie. I do have 3 military version Enduras though. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:32 pm 

OK, OK, you all have me wanting a Spyderco again. I had a Kiwi several years ago that I liked the size and design of, but it failed and, at the time, Spyderco didn't have anything appropriate to replace it with. I am looking for something that can cope with the intense requirements of opening packages, cutting twine and cardboard, and being fast enough to open that I can slay the orange before it rolls off my desk. Size-wise, I also used to have Gerber LST in both the tiny and the small size. I liked the look and design of the Auto-Benchmite, but didn't buy it at the time. As I remember, it was pretty pricey.

Now I've got a Leatherman Juice S2, but at 124 g, it is more weight than I want to throw into my pocket with my keys, pens, and change. FFS, I think my Konosuke gyuto weights less. It's got a 57 mm (2 1/4") edge on blade and is about 82 mm (3 1/4") closed.

Looks like the Ladybug, Manbug, and Dragonfly might be reasonable options. Any strong feelings between those?

Any reason not to go with ZDP-189 on these? Are the factory edges on them good enough that I won't have to mess with them? From what I can tell, the ZDP-189 ones are flat ground.

Rough pricing that I'm seeing from non-eBay sources seems to be (ZDP-189/VG-10)

Ladybug $45 / $31
Manbug $53 / $40
Dragonfly $77 / $52 (ZDP-189 for $64.30 on Amazon)

(Plain, non-serrated edge)

Looks like there may be an Aogami Super version of the Ladybug coming the end of this year --
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-L ... ife--15307

Am I missing something that I should be looking at Spyderco or otherwise? Their line is "extensive" to say the least!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:01 am 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> I'd never go smaller than the Delica... just me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:54 pm 

so i got the Dragonfly 2 zdp-189 a week ago. its very smal but thats what i wanted. great little EDC that i can have in my pocket without feeling like its in the way.
next ill get myself the manix 2 and the dodo :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:18 am 

Thanks to you both for the opinions!

I got my hands on a Delica 4 and a stainless-steel-scaled Dragonfly today. The Delica is definitely a knife, whereas the Dragonfly is more of a "convenience blade." I can definitely see why you might chose not to carry anything smaller than the Delica.

The Delica definitely has a better feel as a knife, with the jimping on the back of the blade and that the grip is back from the choil, in contrast to the Dragonfly where the choil is part of the grip. While the blade of the Delica isn't much longer than that of the Dragonfly, it feels a lot longer, I think partly because of the aspect ratio of the blade (the Dragonfly feels definitely "stubby" to me) and partly because of the way you grip the Delica more with the handle.

The Delica at 108 mm long definitely doesn't fit in the watch/5th pocket of a pair of jeans (at least in my size) and is nearly too big for me to carry "loose" in a pocket. The Dragonfly at 84 mm fits much better in the watch pocket. The Dragonfly I saw had a solid clip on it which seemed nice -- I don't know how the wire one on the ZDP-189 version will pan out.

For those interested, Amazon has the Delica in ZDP-189 for $82.89

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:50 am 

on those little guys i find they tuck in waste band behind a belt and vanish (i keep a SS cricket SE in just such a way as my back up blade)
im much better then i used to be (carried 3 on most any given day now im dow to 2 knives :) ) one of my customs for main use and criket as back up

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Lloyd Harner wrote:"...i find they tuck in the waste band behind a belt and vanish..."

Yup, that's where I carry them - never in my pocket.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2