It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:31 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Need knife recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

We highly encourage our customers to ask product questions about knives here. To help you, we need a few questions answered so we can tailor a knife recommendation to your specific needs and requirements. When you ask about a knife please include as much as you can but at minimum answer these simple questions:

1. Are you right handed?
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
3. What size knife are you looking for?
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
6. How much did you want to spend?
7. Do you know how to sharpen?

Please post your requests for a recommendation as a new topic and either I or other forum members will give you their opinion on which knife to buy.
Hopefully it will generate arguments that will entertain and inform you.

1. I am right handed

2. The gyoto sounds fine. I used to have a regular chef’s knife double-bevel which I gave to a friend and am now using a KAI single bevel large knife like a deba but much longer

3. Knife size should be a blade of 200-210mm, handle length 130-ish mm but not too less than that…125 mm min. 51mm blade depth current knife. Definitely need that much at least…some more is OK provided it does not make the knife ungainly and difficult to control.

4. I prefer both…carbon AND stainless ;-) Actually, it is somewhat of a myth out there. From a metallurgical standpoint, carbon contributes to hardness and chromium contributes to stainless-ness. Carbon/chromium and vanadium/chromium can combine to form carbides which means less chromium available for stainlessness but ultra high chromium means it can be high carbon and yet be stainless AEB-L (13c26 Sandvik), s30V and M390 are perfect examples of high-carbon knives that are stainless. Stainless is a must for me, I do not want to deal with rust in any way shape or form.

5. I am ok with any handle as long as it is a substantial handle and allows control of the knife. I do not like thin handles.

6. I don’t WANT to spend…lol…but I do want value…If the knife is not right, even a dollar is a waste…if the knife is right…different story. This is the first time I am spending more than 30 bucks on a knife so I want to be sure I do not spend too much…but not the cost of compromise. If you make the suggestions, I will make a choice.

7. I do not have any good stones. I do want to learn how to do this but my stuff is all around woodworking gear. I do sharpen chisels and can even make my own angle guides if I have to.

Thanks,

A.

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Need knife recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

The Kanehiro Ginsan popped into my mind while reading your requirements. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kawa21.html

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

There are a lot of good choices out there, without a budget limit, though, kind of hard to know how much you want to spend.

This is a nice knife:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satada21gy.html

The TKC is as well.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:14 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:The TKC is as well.

I definitely agree. The Kikuichi TKC performance is an excellent knife. Adam recommended it to me and I absolutely love it. The steel is great, takes an edge extremely fast and holds it for a long time getting used daily in a commercial kitchen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:06 pm 

I have my decision narrowed to four knives. They all seem to have great reviews but I'm stuck. I would love an opinion on all four knives.
Which knife should I get between:

Masakage Koishi Gyuto 240mm
Moritaka Supreme KS 250mm
Takeda Gyuto 240mm or
Richmond Laser Aogami Super Gyuto 240mm

I know the Moritaka KS's blade shape is more toward that of a European blade and the price point on the Takeda and Masakage are quite a bit more but beyond that these all seem pretty evenly matched. Any help, opinion or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kersoner - each of those 4 knives you mentioned are not of full stainless steel construction. You emphasized that as an important criteria in you first post.

The Masakage Koishi is stainless clad, but has a reactive core of Aogami Super steel and will oxidize/rust at the blade edge if not cared for properly. Same for the Richmond Laser AS.

The Moritaka and Takeda knives are carbon steel core AND carbon cladding. They are reactive over the entire blade face, parts with Kurouchi finish not withstanding.

They're all great knives, but make sure you are OK with partly, or all carbon knives before considering these.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:46 pm 

Steve - I was aware of the care-taking aspect. I don't believe I specified stainless steel construction. If I did I apologize but I definitely have been wanting a knife constructed of aogami super steel especially. I actually wouldn't mind one clad in stainless steel but it is not necessary. I was wondering more about the sharpness ootb, edge retention, handle quality, balance and ease of sharpening aspect of these particular knives in comparison to each other. Also if you have any recommendations for knives similar to these specs that would also be much appreciated.

Thank you
Kersoner

re: Kersoner - each of those 4 knives you mentioned are not of full stainless steel construction. You emphasized that as an important criteria in you first post.

The Masakage Koishi is stainless clad, but has a reactive core of Aogami Super steel and will oxidize/rust at the blade edge if not cared for properly. Same for the Richmond Laser AS.

The Moritaka and Takeda knives are carbon steel core AND carbon cladding. They are reactive over the entire blade face, parts with Kurouchi finish not withstanding.

They're all great knives, but make sure you are OK with partly, or all carbon knives before considering these.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

My apologies if you are not the original poster. I was just going by item #4 on the first post of this thread.

I have the Masakage Yuki Gyuto and I can say that the Masakages come VERY sharp OOTB. They have very nice fit and finish throughout, including the handles. Edge retention and ease of sharpening should be comparable between these makers - they all do a nice job with AS steel.

Others will need to comment on the other models. I will say that Takeda's Gyutos are very tall blades. Some people like blades that tall, some people don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:16 pm 

No problem Steve. You have been extremely helpful and I am very thankful. I'm actually not a huge fan of a really tall blade and I had been leaning towards either the Masakage or the Richmond. There is also the Kanehiro Wa-Gyuto 240mm that was recommended above that also fits these specs. So much to choose from lol, which is a good problem to have. Thanks again Steve! You've been a big help.

re: My apologies if you are not the original poster. I was just going by item #4 on the first post of this thread.
have the Masakage Yuki Gyuto and I can say that the Masakages come VERY sharp OOTB. They have very nice fit and finish throughout, including the handles. Edge retention and ease of sharpening should be comparable between these makers - they all do a nice job with AS steel.

Others will need to comment on the other models. I will say that Takeda's Gyutos are very tall blades. Some people like blades that tall, some people don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm glad to help in any way possible. If you notice the visual similarities between the Kanehiro and the Masakage knives. I don't think that is an accident. There was some discussion a while back about whether the same blacksmith did some Masakage and Kanehiro knives. This is not uncommon, from what I understand. The Kanehiro 240 should be just as awesome as the Masakage Koishi.

The Richmond Laser AS is a great knife as well with stellar reviews and comments. It's also about $100 less expensive than the other two. You can order the Richmond Laser AS 240 on a pre-order basis. I believe they may be coming in soon. Mark can say for sure.

These are all fabulous knives - tough choice, but as you say, it's a good problem to have. IMHO you can't go wrong with any of them!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next