It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New high grit stones.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, Mark!

Mark, I'm not happy with mine 10k and 15k stones (a Naniwa 10k and a Shapton 15k). They release a black layer over the stone, I need furbish these two stones every time I use them, the knives don't slide over these stones and I don't get a better sharpness than with the 5k... I think I will change them.

I make a research in your site... In this moment, I would buy the two bellow

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/atmequ.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nuba15gr.html

Considering a extreme performance (even the cost be something higher), do you have some best option?

The 10k, the Ohira, it has wonderful reviews in your site.. But I don't fine nothing about the Nubatama.

Making a very simple metaphor, I want do - with the stones - the same upgrade I did with my knives, when I went from mine Shuns to mine Konosunes! Do you understand me?

Best regards.

Dario

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: New high grit stones.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dario,

The 10 Naniwa is a really good finisher. It's soft so you need some technique to get the most out of the stone. I usually like to use edge trailing strokes only when using that stone.

The 15K shapton is another good stone. It's harder than the Naniwa and ceramic but it cuts well and leaves a nice finish.

The black swarf you are talking about is the stones doing their job and cutting the steel even at those hard grits.

If you want to try something different how about a good natural stone? The Ozuku Asagi is a really good high grit stone that is a great finishing stone. It won't clog up and will leave a really nice finish on your edges. We tend to sell it to razor sharpeners but it works really well on kitchen knives too.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:16 pm 

I would go with the natural ohira and call it a day, it will produce a better edge than synthetics in a similar grit and not build-up with metal.

May I ask why you want such a fine finish?

And Mark when will the naturals be back in stock... I need a stone for razors!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:24 am 
Forum Moderator

I certainly wouldn't be buying two really high grit stones. Find one you like.

The Naniwa 10k Superstone is my favorite, but it looks like you don't like it.

You've got two extreme opposite stones in the Naniwa and Shapton. One very hard and one very soft. Maybe a middle road hardness would be good for you. The Naniwa 12,000 Superstone is a bit harder. Maybe worth looking at.

Naturals are another good option, but I don't know enough about the specific stones to recommend.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:52 am 

i have been keeping my eye out for a 10k+ grit that is as smooth as my norton 8k for razors and i have found the 12kchina hone not bad but hard and really slow and the 16k shapton doesnot act like a 16k grit (least to me ) maybe im more a soft hone kind of guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:51 am 

You should check out the Imanishi 10k I use it often for razors and prefer it to the Naniwa 12k in finish and feel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:17 pm 

Jason B

I have been looking hard at the Imanishi 10k. I already have a Arashiyama 6k, though some claim it is closer to 8k. Have you used this and do you think the 10k is a significant jump in finishing quality. I just bought my first straight razor, and am worried that my current set up with the Arashiyama 6k as my highest grit, with chromium oxide charged leather strop, will be insufficient for it.

Sorry for the threadjack, this just seemed like a logical place to ask.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:45 pm 

Is a much finer finish than the Arashiyama 6k and in my experience produces a near perfect mirror finish.

After finishing with the imanishi 10k I do a hand full of passes on a Chromium oxide coated strop and its shave ready. No complaints yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:17 pm 

Good to know Jason. I'm in need of a final stone for razors. Or two! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:11 pm 

That's not to say I like it for razors though, IMO natural stones work much better for that application. If your looking for a synthetic the imanishi is a good choice for the price.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next