It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best bang for the buck. $100 budget.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Wa handled Artifex 240mm may not hold it's edge as long if it's the Fujiwara FKM series steel (AUS-8A) and it will be softer as well. The AEB-L version will take a nicer edge and hold it longer, too IMHO. I have converted several Artifex Western handles to Wa handles and thinned/convexed them so they perform better, but the Wa Artifex from Fujiwara should already be nice and thin behind the edge going by what I have seen in their FKM/FKH series in general.

Most 210mm gyuto's have somewhat smaller grips/handles to them. Wa handles are generally longer, but sometimes they are fairly small, too, but they are easily changed out for something larger.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:55 pm 

OK, now you're just adding to my confusion! So the 240 Wa is a different steel than the 240 yo? Should I care?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes and Yes. The original 240mm Artifex is made from AEB-L steel at 61 rockwell. It will take a nicer edge and hold it longer, but is a little thicker behind the edge and has a small ish handle. The 240mm Wa Artifex (Fujiwara one) is in AUS-8A and at a lower hardness than AEB-L, so it won't hold an edge as long, but it should be a bit thinner behind the edge and have a longer handle than the 240mm Artifex and may be a little shorter height wise at the heel if that is important to you. My hand is around 1/4" shorter than yours, so I have a good idea of what something will feel like in the hand for larger hands.

I have converted the 240mm Western Artifex to Wa handles for customers (and myself) and the handle feels nicer for larger hands.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:44 pm 

So excuse my ignorance, but Taz do you work for CKTG? If so, if I want the Western Artifex converted to Wa handle, can I do that when I order it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I do some work for Mark, as well as my own customers. If you want, just have Mark ship the knife to me and I can do it up for you. Shoot me a PM for details, options, pricing, etc if you are interested in this!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:53 pm 

Thanks guys - I just ordered the 210mm Artifex with sharpened edge. I'll let you know how much I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:10 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:A santoku is a multi purpose knife, but typically smaller, flatter profile. Most real cooks don't like these.

I know the OP already bought the gyuto but I work as a cook and my santoku is my go to knife right along with my gyutos. I actually just bought a Richmond santoku because it is relatively long for a santoku and I am interested in the steel and the price :mrgreen:. I also have too many gyutos otherwise I would have bought the Richmond gyuto. Anyway, interested in seeing what the OP thinks of the knife and I plan on reporting back on mine as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:03 am 

So, since I'm the OP can you tell me what OP stands for?

Thanks,
Russ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:08 am 

Original Poster -- the guy that started the thread

You can always make something up more fun though

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:32 pm 

The guy about to be out of pocket?

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next