It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question on Using the Angle Cube
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:45 pm 

Hi -

I have an angle cube that I bought so that I could actually see the angle at which I'm sharpening to keep myself honest, so to speak. I want to simply be able to look at the numbers on the cube so that they are facing me while I sharpen. However, the angle cube will only properly read the angle when it is attached to my knives so that the numbers display is facing on the right or left side.

Does anyone know how to use this cube so that when attached to your knife the display faces you when sharpening and provides accurate readings?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Question on Using the Angle Cube
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:39 pm 

Nope.

And the angle cube isn't intended to be left on the arm of the edge pro during sharpening. Way too much weight/clumsy.

To take a quote from Ron Popeil, "Set it and forget it." At least until the next stone in the progression.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:01 pm 

I used to put the angle cube on my knife and raise it to the angle I wanted and then put my thumbs on the spine and hold it to get a feel of that angle. Muscle memory has to do it from there. Your never going to sharpen an exact angle freehand anyway, only somewhere close. No need to obsess over it, it doesn't have to be exact, we're not building a Mars Rover. But yes, the angle cube does have to be turned left or right of you to get a reading. Sucks but that's life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:22 pm 

Oops! Sorry about that. I never considered that you may be freehanding. I'm so used to the Angle Cube being ancillary gear to an Edge Pro.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:56 pm 

:D A mirror??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:03 pm 

Thanks for the replies. This limitation is very relevant for those who purchase this tool with the intent to use it when freehand sharpening to check angle accuracy. For what it's worth, I think this limitation/functionality should be noted on the product page.

I've actually worked on a Mars Rover project as a science writer (not an engineer), so I can verify that I'm definitely not "building a Mars Rover here".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:29 pm 

Wifi from the Angle Cube into Google Glass?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]