It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wedding Gift
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:01 am 

Hi all! I am relatively new to the site but have purchased some sharpening stones that I absolutely love from here! Now it's time for some knives. For my first knife I'm looking for a type of show piece knife for my fiance as her wedding present. She loves the Japanese style blades and currently uses Shun classic knives and likes them very well. Even though the Shun's are stainless steel she still keeps very good care of all her knives and has me sharpen them often. For a home cook I'd say she uses them heavily, many hours during the week and possibly a good 5-10 hours on both saturday and sunday. What I'm looking for is a superb gyuto for her. The only high end knife maker that I currently know of is Bob Kramer who rarely makes the asain style knives or with the d shaped/octogon handle from what I understand and the wait list is looooong so I figured I'd ask you guys for help. My budget is around $2500 and I'm looking for a high end Carbon or Stainless Steel knife. Holding a sharp edge for her is a must and I would like it to have decent edge retention. If you guys could point me in the right direction of smiths or knives your help is much appreciated as I'm kind of clueless on this topic!

Right handed
Wa-gyuto
right around 250mm
No preference on Carbon or Stainless Steel must take an extremely sharp edge. I usually sharpen to 10 degrees. Also Edge Retention is important
Japanese D or Octagon Handle
Budget around $2500
I sharpen using stones on a bimonthly-monthly basis pending use.

Post subject: Re: Wedding Gift
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 am 
Forum Moderator

Moritaka KS 250mm is one of the few 250mm gyuto's that I know of off the top of my head. Most are 240mm blade lengths. But it does hit on all of your points, but it can be reactive with foods.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:04 am 

How is it reactive with food? If it rusts? Also I'm sorry and 240mm is fine as well. Just don't want as small as 210.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes, it can react a good deal. Ok, 240mm are OK, so that opens up lots of choices!

Richmond Addict in AEB-L or 52100, Richmond Laser AS 240mm gyuto, Goko 240mm gyuto, Tanaka Sekiso 240mm (one of my faves, along with the Richmond AS Laser), Konosuke HH or HD gyuto (a little above your budget).

If you want all carbon, Tanaka Sekiso is an awesome cutter. I use mine at home and have only stropped it 5 times since last August. The AS Laser is a great choice and will take a wicked edge and hold it. It's clad in stainless, so only above the edge will patina.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 am 

With that type of budget, I would get creative and go custom. Here are some options:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nu24wacuha.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagyas24cu.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey Tim, I think you misread his post - his budget is $2,500. Now you can really go crazy with awesome ideas of how to spend someone else's money :-). I would think something with a custom handle would be in order :-).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Risney - Getting to research the possibilities, including custom makers, for such a knife is an exciting prospect! I would encourage you to look through the posts in the knife makers sub forums here and check out the work of some superb knife makers. You'll see numerous examples of their work there and you'll also find some examples, some available, some sold out, on the CKTG web site under the knife brands for these same makers.

Another possibility is a really nice knife with a custom handle by one of the great handle makers on this site as well. Badboy had some great suggestions. My only suggestion would be to get something that really fits her needs and style of use in the kitchen. Since she is in the kitchen a LOT, she will want something that is as great to use as it is to admire.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

AH, ok, I thought it was $250!

Randy Haas, Pierre, Fowler, Harner, Marko, Will Catcheside, etc would be the guys I would check out in that case! If you're going that high, might as well get a full custom!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:39 pm 

Thanks guys you have been a lot of help getting me started with smith names and what I'm looking for. I'm sure i'll have more questions but I'm truly grateful!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]