It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Broken Tip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:24 pm 

Well I did it, broke out my most expensisive and also one of my favorite knives at work on a day that I was a little too busy and I broke the tip :(. The good thing is it has a very thin tip and I only broke off a couple if not 1 mm. I was thinking I could come in from the spine at a decent distance on my water stones and finish it up through the grits and be good to go. Never have done this kind of thing before, just thinking it would be easy to polish the spine and I wouldn't lose any edge or have to deal with horrible grinds on my edge which would be more difficult to hit on the stones. Has anyone done it this way as it makes perfect sense to me?

Post subject: Re: Broken Tip
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 am 

Usually its easiest to raise the sharpening angel to about 40 degrees per side and grind it back to normal. Then just lower the angle and re-sharpen.

If its easier for you to grind on the spine the do what your most comfortable with.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:48 am 

Grind the spine so that it meets the edge. Grinding the edge to meet the spine will distort the profile of the tip.

Use the side of your waterstone, or a diamond plate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:57 pm 

This is exactly what I was thinking, grinding the spine from a few inches back until I get a nice fine point on the tip. I will tell you what, if I am any good at it I will do it on a few of my knives a considerable bit closer just to get finer tips on them. Thanks for the pic and the advice to ensure my thinking wasn't wonky.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:49 pm 

I usually try to find a happy medium between the two points.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 am 

Jwesly1 wrote:This is exactly what I was thinking, grinding the spine from a few inches back until I get a nice fine point on the tip. I will tell you what, if I am any good at it I will do it on a few of my knives a considerable bit closer just to get finer tips on them. Thanks for the pic and the advice to ensure my thinking wasn't wonky.

This is what the tip looks like after repair:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 am 

That's a nice looking repair Rick.
I hope yours turns out as well Jwesly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:46 pm 

Well I went ahead and gave the tip repair a shot and it turned out great :D . Thank you guys so much for all the help and the great advice!!! I started on the XC diamond plate and jumped up to a 1K to 3K water stones. The 3k was unnecessary but I gave it a shot anyway just to see what the results would look like, didn't do much. I probably could have stopped at the diamond plate but it was a little rough and caused the edges of the spine to push out a bit so I cleaned it up on the 1k and smoothed out the edges. I got an after pic but unfortunately I don't have the before; either way here it is and thanks again!!! Tell me what you guys think.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... G_0256.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:10 pm 

Looks like you did a fine job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:32 pm 

Good job!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next