It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yanagi and Nakiri suggestions ~$300 total
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:06 am 

Hi all!

Info:
1. Left handed (maybe convert to right hand if necessary)
2. Yanagi, Nakiri
3. standard sizes? Yanagi ~270mm sounds right, Nakiri ~ any size?
4. Stainless steel (easy maintenance)
5. Japanese handle
6. $300 for both
7. Yes, I can sharpen

Buying a gift for a friend who wants to be an amateur Sushi chef, I think a Yanagi and Nakiri would be a good start for him. I currently have a Shun Classic Santoku with paka wood and VG-10 that he seems to like, but I want to get him something different, a bit more traditional.

If I can get both knives that come from the same line (looks similar in style), that would be perfect. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Love this site. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Yanagi and Nakiri suggestions ~$300 total
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:22 am 
Forum Moderator

HUEY <> I have to say that price point for LEFTY stainless Wa's is a difficult one. CKTG just picked up a new line of knives that fit your request for righty chisel grinds, but I have no first hand experience nor have I heard any reviews as they are that new. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kijo.html. You would have enough money left in budget to add some sayas if CKTG says their universals fit.

AUS-8 steel I have been very pleased with in many of my folding knives, but I've never experienced it in kitchen cutlery.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:30 am 

Does your friend need a nakiri, or would they be better served by either a better yanagiba alone, or a different knife in the pair? I can't say that I've found much of a use for a nakiri myself, nor do I see them often on the line at a sushi bar in the US. Even for the daikon/cucumber peeling cut, a yanigiba can be used.

As you say that your friend is looking at sushi for fun (as opposed to apprenticing for a career), perhaps a sujihiki might be a more versatile option than a yanigiba? It's also ambidextrous...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Welcome to the site.

A couple of words of advice first:

Any lefty, stainless yanagi for under $300 by itself would be suspect IMHO. I can't imagine that it would be very nice.

Budget yanagi can be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for a newbie to maintain. They often times come with serious flaws. Knowing how to recognize them and the ability to fix the issues is part of owning budget yanagi. Now, a $300 right handed, carbon steel yanagi isn't what I would consider in this category.....but a $300 and under, lefty, stainless yanagi would be.

My recommendation would be to either get him/her a 270mm stainless sujihiki (double beveled slicer and still works well for sushi) and a stainless nakiri.

or

Get a lefty, carbon 270mm sujihiki for $300. This will still be hard to find a quality example. Lefty's get screwed with traditional Japanese knives.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:21 pm 

Thanks for the advice, guys.

- I will take another look at the AUS8A Kiyotsuna Josaku, it looks the part, I'm just concerned about edge retention. I'll do some research on that steel

- He likes to do some mean chopping with vegetables, so a nakiri may suit him.. but I will consider dropping this for a better quality slicer.

- You guys may be right about the sujihiki. I was hoping to stay away from carbon (because he's lazy). I'll watch his technique to figure out how he handles the blade. That may give me a better impression of his slicin and dicin skills.

I will continue to look for some stainless steel knives in this order:
1) Sujihiki
2) Right handed yanagi (he's a lefty, but may cut with his right, I need to check)
3) Nakiri

Thanks a lot!!
-Huey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:24 pm 

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tkcsujihiki240.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdna18.html

A little over your budget but two great knives.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]