It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:48 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: integral and suji
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:22 am 

Thought I'd share some pictures of a few we just finished up. I'm proud of how these turned out as they were both pretty difficult builds for one reason or another and they turned out really clean.

The integral is 220mm tip to heel, 54mm deep. Stabilized whitetail antler and our spalted maple burl. 01 steel at HRC 62. Strangely enough an asymmetric grind on this one per the customer's request. Convexed on the right and full-flat on the back and sharpened 80/20. This was a grueling knife to make as I forged it down from 7/8" round bar to very close to what you see here without a power hammer. Got to spend some quality time with my one-hand 6lb sledge. . .

The other one is a 265mm gyuto/suji with the same asymmetric grind and sharpening, but sawblade steel at HRC 63. Lignum vitae, recycled copper, and our stabilized pecan yard tree. . .

Love any comments, thanks for looking!

~Luke

Post subject: Re: integral and suji
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:15 am 

True works of art Luke!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:59 am 
Forum Moderator

LUKE <> You have every right to be a proud Daddy with these two! They have extremely refined aesthetics that still embody strength... fine line to ride. I am surprised someone with such an interesting grind request, at the same time, requested so much belly and "depth" on a 220, but to each their own.

That tanto tipped Suji/Kiritsuke is stunning. I hear myself speaking about a tool like its art... because your work is. That Wa... :o pretty much everyone here knows I don't do bling handles, but wow... if I ever did, that is one I would jump on. I really resonate with the synergy of those 3 selections.

Really impressive artistry.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:24 am 

Stunning knives and bro, your spalted maple is incredible...can I buy some? Haha!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:58 pm 

Thanks everybody! I'm hoarding that maple like I'll never get any again. Because we try to use our own stuff, when we find something like this in a uprooted yard tree we don't give it up! This piece was also one of the richest out of the tree.

Melampus, I will say I had a hand in the grind request. The customer came by the shop while I was doing those grinds on some funayukis and was describing why I did them and their function, then went and fit him to his Western chef knife. Understandably he wanted that grind, but also rock chops primarily. . . Actually I think the grind will really help as a flat ground knife of that depth really does stack the food up like crazy and the pretty strong convex will really reduce the stiction, even if the combo is pretty unusual. And for makers it's not as fun without "bling"!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:49 am 
Forum Moderator

Very nice looking stuff! Handles look very comfy and great grinds on the blades!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:08 am 
Forum Moderator

LUKE <> I'm with you in your logic; I just would have been surprised if they had come up with it all on their own. And as for the "bling", I hear you, I just have a thing with knives drawing attention. Most people have no idea what they're looking at in a knife, but they see that handle and all of a sudden it's a target.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:02 pm 

Melampus,

Do you mean a "target" as in the mysterious vanishing act that nice carbons and nice knives in general do in pro kitchens? I've had several people ask me for "as ugly a knife as I can make that performs like crazy" and I think this is the reason. The problem is, most aspects that make it a joy to use automatically make it pleasing to the eye. . .

~L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:44 am 
Forum Moderator

LUKE <> Correct. The masses don't know what a blade is capable of, but they see a burl handle and its automatically a valuable acquisition. I have over 50 knives; all are plane Jane handled. Plus, I love the porosity of raw grain wood for grip.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:39 pm 

I just fitted a German couple to a custom the other day and they said that in Germany it is illegal to have wood handles on knives in professional kitchens. I imagine stabilized wood would be ok? I too like the porosity of natural wood and the grippiness of raised grain. I really like the pecan that we use for that reason. It's a ring-porous wood with large vessel elements so it has great porosity even stabilized and gives a great grip.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next