It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stone recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:20 am 

I know, I know; another recommend me a stone thread. I am just beggining to realize how much I like my harder higher end and higher grit stones the more I use them and am looking to replace my lower grit setup. Right now I have a combination 220/1000 grit global stone that I do not like and am looking to replace with two individual stones. My higher grit stones that I like are a 3 and 5k both chosera's. I am leaning towards possibly a Nubatama bamboo 1k gold or an Ume 1k medium with the speckles. I would just like to say that I like hard stones that cut fast with minimal mud, this is what I hate about my global stone besides the fact that it is a combination stone, it gets so muddy that it just seems wrong in comparison to my chosera which performs much better for obvious reasons. Tell me what you guys prefer in low grit stones. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Post subject: Re: Stone recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:24 am 

Nubatama stones are muddy so that might not be the best choice. Why not complete your set of chosera with the 400 and 800?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:21 am 

I cannot argue Jason's logic, completing the set sounds like a good plan. Before reading Jason's suggestion I was thinking Latte 400 and Nubatama 1K Ume. These stones are both really great, medium-hard, and the right kind of muddy. They produce a thin mud/swarf but I would not considering them to be muddy.

I absolutely love these two stones!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, the Ume isn't what I would call a muddy stone.....a little mud though.

Can't argue with Jason either....if you like the Chocera's.....finish the set.

Otherwise, the Ume is my favorite 1,000 grit stone.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:Can't argue with Jason either....if you like the Chocera's.....finish the set.

Otherwise, the Ume is my favorite 1,000 grit stone.

I like my Chocera's but much of this is in comparison to lower quality stone. It feels like as soon as I start to jump on my higher grit Chocera's it's like now we're sharpening which one would think would be the opposite because of the higher grit. My qualm is that I would imagine different grits of the same brand react differently and I have heard such great things about the Nubatama's. Mud doesn't bother me as much as I am letting off, stones that dish very quickly do though. I like the amount of mud and swarf that I get from my Chocera's and am mainly just looking for a lot of recommendations so I can narrow it down. This is how I make all my major knife related purchases and so far you guys haven't steered me wrong because I greatly respect you guys opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:22 am 

I will 100% stand by the Latte 400 and the Nubatama 1K Ume. I cannot say that I have experienced all stones in this range, but I can say that my 400 and 1K are a 1-2 punch and would be very hard to beat!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:35 am 

I'm not a big fan of the chosera stones in general (I like muddy stones) but they are quality stones that work fast and hardly wear. Keeping consistent with your set is important because when all the stones are of a similar composition your technique stays the same. When they are not you must alter your technique to fit the style of the stone and that can throw things off big time.

The Nubatama stones are great but a different animal from the chosera stones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:45 pm 

Jason,

Muddy, really?

I have the Nubatama Bamboo 150, Bamboo 400, Ume 1K speckled medium, and Bamboo 5K.

In my experience the 150 is mud less.
The 400 can get a tiny bit of mud on it if you are using it as part of a full blade polishing progression. It doesn't get muddy at all in the time it takes to set a bevel. I also have a Lette 400. Now that is a muddy stone.
The Ume 1K like the 400 can get a little mud going with a full blade polish, but is mud less for the time it takes to draw a burr in regular sharpening.
The 5k is likewise pretty mud less.

That said, I have used a slurry stone on the 400, 1K and 5K, and I did whip up a nice mud bath.
I tried various methods including a palm sander with 100 grit paper to get mud out of the 150 and it was just a no go. Am thinking if I dropped it into a Vitamix it might get a little muddy :)

Which Nubatama stones did you see get muddy?

Jwesly,
I have a verity of synthetic stones including the Latte 400, King 800, King 1K, Bestor 1.2k, Rika 5K, Arashiyama 6k, and King 6K. All the Nubatama stones I have dish a lot slower than those. I hear the Shapton Glass stones dish super slow and are mud less.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:05 pm 

I have the bamboo 180, 220, 400, 1k, 1200, and 5k, all besides the 5k build a decent amount of mud. The 1k more swarf but gets pretty muddy on softer steels and clad blades. The 5k only gets muddy on clad blades.

Compared to the chosera stones they are very muddy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:14 am 

Jason B. wrote:Keeping consistent with your set is important because when all the stones are of a similar composition your technique stays the same. When they are not you must alter your technique to fit the style of the stone and that can throw things off big time.

I was unaware of this and I am currently already breaking this philosophy with different brands of stones. I also feel like different grit stones require a bit of changing of my technique anyway as well as different knives and steel varieties so I don't think this is much of an issue. With that being said, I am leaning towards doing what you guys have telling me and just going with the Chocera's but I figured I might go ahead and try out the Nubatama's since I have been hearing such great things about them and I figure my 1k stone should be my favorite since it will more than likely be the one I use most.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next