It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a good 2K splash and go.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:56 am 

Hi Guys,

At the moment I use a King 1000/6K for a portable stone and honestly, it's about perfect in that roll. Virtually splash and go and it does leave an edge that is wicked sharp with just the right amount of tooth for me. I grind on the 1K and just strop on the 6K in the grand tradition of Murray Carter.

However, given that I love trying different things, I am wondering if I could kill several birds with one stone, pardon the pun.

I have several stones in the 1K range, and several in the 5K and 6K range. Apart from the Rika 5K which is more like a 3k or 4K, I really don't have anything in-between.
Am also thinking a single stone that could replace the two stone king for portable sharpening duty might be cool as well.

I know the King 1K, Bestor 1.2K, and Aono Aoto all leave edges that are too toothy for me.
I also find a fully refined 6K edge is about too refined. I tend to just strop on the 5K or 6K stones leaving a bit of tooth from the 1K stones.

The stones that look really appealing because they are so thin, cut well, and are splash and go are the Shapton Glass stones. Am thinking a 2K or 3K might be pretty cool to try.

So what do you guys think. Is the 2K edge likely too toothy? Would the 3K cut too slow if used without a 1K initially?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Post subject: Re: Looking for a good 2K splash and go.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:02 am 

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html

Green brick? Its not splash n go but it leaves a really nice finish IMO for a 2k. Much higher and mirror like than I expected for a 2k. I finish with it quite often :)

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:31 am 

The Green brick is a good touch up stone but not very portable. If your looking for a portable splash-n-go for touch ups I'd go with the thin 2k Shapton GS or even the Pro with it's plastic case.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:13 am 

The 2k Shapton Glass Stone is a nice stone. Cuts fast enough to have been my lowest grit stone for double-bevel knives at home for years. It will cut VG-10 and Cowry-X. The finish is nice in the way that the Glass Stone line works toward a mirror finish, not so much a "haze" finish. The edge is very usable for a variety of tasks. I go from the 2k to the 6k on double-bevel knives. If you find a 6k edge too refined, the 2k Glass Stone is probably about right.

I like mine a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:28 am 

+1 on the SG stone.

Thin and therefore portable, check
Splash and go, check
Versatile, check
Good with a variety of steels, check
Finish right between your other stones, check

At first I was thinking the Green Brick, but for your specific situation, the SG 2K sounds the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you are only going to be purchasing 1 Glass stone and don't plan on getting any others, I might suggest going with the 2k pro instead. While I own the 2k Glass and love it death, I think as a single-stone purchase the pro might be a slightly better choice. Having a built in stone base and a thicker stone are attractive features IMO. Both the Glass and Pro stones cut every type of steel as they are very hard, but the Pro stones are just "slightly" less aggressive on average, making them fit in another progression of stones a little better.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]