It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Nubatamas....the hype......
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:01 pm 

Melampus wrote:Oh... semantics ;)
+1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 am 

I'm going to chime in here one more time. Now I'm no world class sharpener like Ken and I suppose most folks don't even care what my opinion is but I'm giving it anyway so stop reading now if you are not interested.

Regarding the Nubatama hype and waiting for a review data base.

Since I already have 3 of them, this no longer is important to me but for those waiting for more solid base of reviews.
Who are you waiting for to use them and give a review, what if 100 people were given the 3 stones to use for a month and give those reviews. Who are those 100 people going to be, why would I trust them over the people who have already given me what I need to know?
It's not like there is some Board of Water Stones executive committee that going to give us a the answer that will be key decision maker.
When I made the jump from King to Chosera and Shapton Glass stones, I just went by the advice of the same people giving it to me now. Yes Ken selling these stones automatically negates some of his positive reviews because he is selling them. However I would take Ken's words over 100 people that I have never heard of before. To be honest, I never bought my Nubatamas based on what Ken said, it was the other folks here and their reactions that sold me.

There was no doubt in my military mind that when I got the stones they were going to work, they're abrasives and it wasn't like I was getting them off of ebay from some unknown dealer. I couldn't care les about how they work on these Bling Blades that I will never see. I lost count of the Henckels and Globals I sharpen daily so those are my money knives and they just as important to their owners as any knife

Live on the edge, what's the worst that can happen? MR, your single review would be worth an entire Legion of other knife sharpeners comments.

I need another coffee.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 pm 

Sailor wrote: Live on the edge, what's the worst that can happen?
+1 :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hehe, point taken Pete.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:32 pm 

Pete -->Much better articulated than I put it but my thoughts exactly!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:43 am 

Sailor wrote:I'm going to chime in here one more time. Now I'm no world class sharpener like Ken and I suppose most folks don't even care what my opinion is but I'm giving it anyway so stop reading now if you are not interested.

Regarding the Nubatama hype and waiting for a review data base.

Since I already have 3 of them, this no longer is important to me but for those waiting for more solid base of reviews.
Who are you waiting for to use them and give a review, what if 100 people were given the 3 stones to use for a month and give those reviews. Who are those 100 people going to be, why would I trust them over the people who have already given me what I need to know?
It's not like there is some Board of Water Stones executive committee that going to give us a the answer that will be key decision maker.
When I made the jump from King to Chosera and Shapton Glass stones, I just went by the advice of the same people giving it to me now. Yes Ken selling these stones automatically negates some of his positive reviews because he is selling them. However I would take Ken's words over 100 people that I have never heard of before. To be honest, I never bought my Nubatamas based on what Ken said, it was the other folks here and their reactions that sold me.

There was no doubt in my military mind that when I got the stones they were going to work, they're abrasives and it wasn't like I was getting them off of ebay from some unknown dealer. I couldn't care les about how they work on these Bling Blades that I will never see. I lost count of the Henckels and Globals I sharpen daily so those are my money knives and they just as important to their owners as any knife

Live on the edge, what's the worst that can happen? MR, your single review would be worth an entire Legion of other knife sharpeners comments.

I need another coffee.

That summed things up nicely Pete!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:57 am 

I have bought quite a fewthings from this website that I am happy with. Thanks! Still....I do feel I understand the "hype" concern. Clearly this website and forum "favors" certain items. I have learned a lot here but I do listen with expectations of some bias. I bought my choseras here... but only afte confirming on other sites that perceived had less bias that they were what I was looking for, and I would recommend the same before buying a nubatama.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:18 am 
Forum Moderator

Any forum is going to have their "brand" "sponsors" "Vendors" etc and people will often recommend only those brands. Some other forums censor certain vendors/products due to personal bias' and tell everyone they are garbage, often without even having seen/used the item or even having the full info about them! They will often ridicule even the names of products to turn people off from them and automatically trash talk the item.

I kinda like that the Nubatama's are more of a natural feeling stone and will give the contrast rather than a mirror finish stone. I prefer J nats for my final sharpening and the 150 Nubatama works well for flattening blade roads and starting a kasumi contrast on clad knives. The latte 400 works great as a follow up to the Nubatama 150 and I am looking forward to getting a 1000 grit Nubatama to try out soon! If a synthetic stone can give me a better look/contrast easier with less cost and more consistency than a J Nat, that is awesome!!! J Nats are kinda hard to figure out since they are a natural stone and vary a lot.

I would talk to Ken about what you are looking to do with the stone. J Nat finish vs fast sharpening, different steels, etc will affect what stone you are looking for and Ken would be the best one to tell you which stone will work best for what you are doing and looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:40 am 
Forum Moderator

taz575 wrote:"... other forums censor certain vendors/products due to personal bias' and tell everyone they are garbage, often without even having seen/used the item or even having the full info about them! They will often ridicule even the names of products to turn people off from them and automatically trash talk the item."

Sad, but TRUE. :|

Page 4 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4