It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Knives on the Artifex Line
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:33 am 

Can anyone do like a review of the new knives on the artifex line?

namely the boning knife, the fillet, santoku, artifex wa gyuto and fanatic thin cleaver....

please? preferably a video review.

=D

Post subject: Re: New Knives on the Artifex Line
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

I put a review (I doubled it up because of confusion over the interface - I'll ask Mark to pull down the extras) on the product page for the 240 Wa Gyuto. It's a really nice knife for the money - if you discount the lower edge retention qualities of the AUS8 steel. I'm only a home cook/user, so my situation is not a good test bed for extended edge retention like being in a professional environment. So far, I'm really liking this knife.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

The boning knife is nice, I used it on a bone in ham roast a few weeks back and it worked like other boning knives in the traditional style. Handles are now G10 and a little thicker than previous ones it seems; it seemed to fill my had better. It is still somewhat thick behind the edge and that may be good for a boning knife to keep chips down.

If you want a wa 240mm, get the Western 240 wa (not the tall) converted and rehandled. It's been the one I used all last week so far and has been awesome. I reground it and have been putting it thru the paces...very pleased with the results! I did a potato cutting video of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:45 am 

I recently purchased a Richmond Artifex santoku for my chef to replace his aging Henckel Pro santoku. Lucky for me this seemed to be a good fit. This most distinguishing feature about this santoku is it's size. Compared to most, its a big, honking blade! It feels larger than my 210 Artifex gyuto, with handles that fill out the hands a bit more and added height. The balance point was right on the edge of the bolster. I like my 240 gyutos, so this knife was definitely not for me, but santoku fans may delight in the fact that there is more knife with the Artifex santoku than most santokus. I see a lot of guys in the kitchen who prefer santokus, and this knife has received a very positive review in the kitchen where I work.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]