It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:14 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kono HD vs White #2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark, I'm thinking on getting a kono sujihiki. I don't need it to be semi-stainless so here is my question: what's the difference between the hd2 and the white #2 suji? Just the steel or are they differently ground? Thanks.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Kono HD vs White #2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Just the steel is different. The same blacksmith and grinder do these knives so they're pretty much identical other than the steel.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:40 pm 

What steel holds the edge longer? I've read #2 can get sharper, is that correct?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

White #2 can take a finer edge, but the HD may hold it longer. The HD may be better with a toothier edge, which is what you would normally want with a Suji anyway. I got a White #2 Kono 300mm Suji because I like the patina it takes :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

HD probably holds a slightly longer edge given they start with the same edge. The difference in sharpness ability probably lies more in your skill than anything else. If you've got a lot of sharpening skill, and a fine enough stone, white #2 will get sharper. However, not by a black and white margin.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:38 pm 

HD has all the advantages of high-end stainless steels (to a slightly lesser degree), but without any of the drawbacks; and has all the advantages of high-end carbon steels (to a slightly lesser degree), but without any of the drawbacks. [Stop me when you sense a theme.]

HD really is "best of both worlds." Other than price Kono in HD there's no compelling reason to buy White #2; at least not one related to performance.

BDL

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]