It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mark....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:26 am 

ooo this sure sounds intresting. count me in!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:00 pm 

How about s125v? 3.25% carbon, yowzers! Would be interesting to see what it would be like in kitchen knife form.

edit: it may actually be discontinued :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:46 am 

The problem is understanding what specific steels do best at, high wear steels do best in abrasive cutting, for a kitchen knife there are better choices.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:08 am 
Forum Moderator

Jason B. wrote:The problem is understanding what specific steels do best at, high wear steels do best in abrasive cutting, for a kitchen knife there are better choices.

Maybe so, but there are some of us out there that push the envelope to explore new technology.

The usual usual is becoming sincerely boring.

I understand that price point & ease of sharpening are big players in the bigger demand/supply/profit picture, but hell, bear with us minority to utter our "wishlist".

FWIW, my Gareth Bull custom M390 Gyuto is a killer - now who would have dreamed of using this steel in a kitchen unit......

Imagine this in K390......

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Love that blade everytime you show it...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:36 am 
Forum Moderator

I used diamond film to produce a mirror convex zero grind edge on my Rex121 Farid knife going up to 9 microns followed by CBN up to ... well you know I like refined edges :)

Using diamonds, it hardly broke a sweat doing this knife - the whole bevel, not just the edge :)

IF you are doing it on stones, you should dope the slurry with matching CBN or diamond grit - any stone, unless you just like to take your time and build up muscles on one knife. Vanadium carbides are MUCH harder than Aluminum oxide or even silicon carbides, so using stones alone is almost like using stones on ceramic blades. Most people won't like sharpening that hard of a steel, even with excellent edge retention.

In comparing k390 to m390 note that we are going up from 4% vanadium to 9% vanadium so it will be significantly harder to sharpen with waterstones.

Also note that M390 has 20% chromium vs 4.2 % chromium, so it will not have the corrosion resistance of M390 - one of M390's advertised strengths.

K390 does have a bit more carbon, but they are both high carbon steels - a good thing.

For more data check these datasheets:

http://www.bohler-edelstahl.com/files/M390DE.pdf page 3

http://www.bohler-edelstahl.com/files/K390DE.pdf also page 3

http://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodb ... pm121.html

Other than Farid, who does excellent work, there's not a lot of knifemakers that like to work with ultra high vanadium content steels, as they go through a LOT more belts and production is much slower. And Farid does use a lot of belts :)

k390 is classically used for industrial knives, but not for wet environments. For that m390 is preferred.

Here's an old thread on this topic:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showt ... teel/tp/2/

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:32 pm 

Hey rookie, have you ever cut until completely dull with a Rex121, m390, s90v or s110v blade?

I not being a smart a$$ here but wondering where your experience level with these steels is at. Lots of knife users that don't know any better will follow along and get very wrong impressions by someone hypeing a steel simply because its the "flavor of the week"

These super premium steels are going to perform at a new level when used on about anything but for some uses like in the kitchen your only getting about 50% of the total available performance from said steel.

To give a little example,
CPM-154 @62 hrc will outperform CPM-125V in a kitchen knife, and its not because the 154 is in any way better but simply better able to handle the angles. You can put a 20 degree inclusive angle on the CPM-154 and it will hold it, not gonna happen with the 125V. How do I know? I've done CATRA testing and have seen the results.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jason B. wrote:Hey rookie, have you ever cut until completely dull with a Rex121, m390, s90v or s110v blade?

I not being a smart a$$ here but wondering where your experience level with these steels is at. Lots of knife users that don't know any better will follow along and get very wrong impressions by someone hypeing a steel simply because its the "flavor of the week"

These super premium steels are going to perform at a new level when used on about anything but for some uses like in the kitchen your only getting about 50% of the total available performance from said steel.

To give a little example,
CPM-154 @62 hrc will outperform CPM-125V in a kitchen knife, and its not because the 154 is in any way better but simply better able to handle the angles. You can put a 20 degree inclusive angle on the CPM-154 and it will hold it, not gonna happen with the 125V. How do I know? I've done CATRA testing and have seen the results.

Good question:

In retort....

I have used the following personal units very extensively -

1. M390 - have 3 x 240mm Gyutos, 1 x Gareth Bull custom & 2 x Mark Richmond ones.
In all 3 the edge retention before needing stropping (compared to other general steels) is way ahead.
And then it strops back to scary sharp in a jiffy using HA BC 1µ.

2. My Farid CPM-Rex 121 is used on a virtually daily basis to behead garlic ends - again just super edge retention.

3. My recently aquired ZT S110V is used plenty daily as my EDC (replacing my Benchmade Barrage 583 M390) - still super shaving sharp - I am still like a kid with this knife & look for reasons just to flick it open & use it.

4. My jerkie knife is a Bencmade Shoki M390 - doing hard work cutting tough "biltong" it excells, at least twice weekly.

5. My Sperco PM 2 M390 I keep in my vehicle & gets frequent use - also a winner.

6. My 70mm Gareth Bull M390 custom parer is used daily (goto is Gyuto & parer) just refuses to dull.

I have also sharpened & used a Spyderco PM 2 with a S90V blade (albeit for a short period) - I was impressed.

Attached a record of some of my personal sessions....

I reckon I have a good idea as to what is what...

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:19 pm 

Madrookie - I reckon I have a good idea as to what is what

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1 ;)

Page 2 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next