It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:44 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Han Han stone
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:56 am 
Forum Moderator

What grit would y'all say the han han stone is. How about durability? Jmbullman

Post subject: Re: Han Han stone
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:11 am 

The Han Han stone is a 8-10k stone that will yield a more natural like edge with a mix of natural and synthetic finishing qualities to the ground surface. The stone is hard with a smooth feel and excellent feedback making finding your place on the edge very easy. Works best on carbon steels.

It's a small hone and not the easiest to use but worth the buy IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:03 am 
Forum Moderator

Thank you Jason B, I was looking for a replacement (poor choice of words) for my yagonoshima asagi before I made the jump to osuka asagi koppa, I am just trying to keep from wearing down the yagonoshima asagi it had cotton to where I was using it every day and to replace that stone is a small fortune. Thanks for the info have a great weekend. Bullman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:48 pm 

BTW, very very slow to wear.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Here is the jmbullman skinny on the han han stone so write this down and ken thank you very much you are wise beyond your years and have been a great friend and mentor for many of mine however short that may be. I was so impressed with this stone that I would be hard pressed not to take two of these and glue them togeather and hit them with a diamond plate to smooth them out. I cut several knives today from 52100 to vg10 and k2 and I am so impressed its like this is a little secret in a small brick, my finish as seen in the f dick far exceeds 8-10 k and same for a vg 10 shun and 52100 addict, on most i than jumped to the osuka asagi koppa and the expectations far outreached my wildest dreams as to my statement earlier on the pics sometimes less is more, I would advise anyone who would like to jump on this bandwagon to get I touch with mark to carry as many as he can and ken can fill the gaps when he is out. I don't usually get too excited of a stone except when I switched from straight arkansas's to Japanese many many lunar cycles ago the stone even in this size is worth twice the price and my carbon and vg10 progression will be as follows: naw I just keep that one to myself every key has to have one or two secrets before their time is up. I am composing a book or binder of stone progressions of knives and stones and which cuts faster, slower, and the holy grail of info which one regardless of polish is going to last longer inop in a commercial kitchen or at least a high traffic home kitchen. I personally would get on the phone Monday if I was you or y'all as we say down here and order one. I will be posting pics and vids of what this stone can do by itself before I progress in to my final stone, in some cases such as the f dick 1905 and yes it's not Japanese but it is a dam good knife especially since I sharpened on such a Sally stone with a 10 inch knife. I feel that on some knives this can be a finished for a home kitchen. I am limited in the steels I can test due to money unless a person brings something in for me to sharpen that is of different molecular construction than what I own. I will keep you informed, peace and stay thirsty my friends. The bullman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

James,

Glad you are enjoying this unusual stone so much. It is just one of those odd curios - a older stone made by a stonemaker whose business is no longer 'around' due to a natural calamity. The details of the manufacturing are lost to history and a small batch remains for us to enjoy. A stone with a most interesting story attached to it PLUS one that gives results too. Sweet! A treat to be given the opportunity to put these stones in the hands of Mark's customers.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

This is the han hand stone for those of you who read this and don't know what we're talking about:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hanhanstone.html

Linking is highly encouraged on this forum. Don't be afraid to link. :)

Richmond Laser

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]