It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: First Carbon Knife
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:34 pm 

So...I picked up that Sabatier from JmBullman. It is my first carbon knife ever owed, or ever played with. It does have some issues (known before the purchase) that I of course had to take care of immediately! The bolster was ground down unevenly, so I evened it out and rounded it up. The edge at the tip is a little overground. I'm not going to mess with the overground area too much. I am giving it a good sharpening and a nice forced patina with mustard.

As for the mustard patina, wow it didn't take long at all. I maybe left it set for 4 minutes, then redid another time for four minutes and it took a patina really well. Its a beautiful patina, It has blues and purples in it and I just want to say I was amazed at the quickness with this method. I can't wait to get used to the carbon way of constantly wiping the knife! Then I will probably never buy stainless again!!

JmBullman thanks for the opportunity to try out a carbon!

Drew Hostetler

Post subject: Re: First Carbon Knife
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

It's a slippery slope you're on Drew. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:36 am 

There's slippery slopes everywhere I can't decide which one to choose :DD

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am 

I was just not a big fan of the Sabatiers at first. Bought a few TI **** new, and the factory edge was simply awful. No matter what I did I simply could not get it sharp. Kept working it on the stones at about 15 to 18 degrees and then one day, the edge appeared like magic. I use a idahone fine ceramic steel (Mark sells them for about $30 bucks) with the knife every time I use it. It now has a wicked sharp razor edge and cuts fantastically. Those knives are soooo responsive to basic steeling; only 3 or 4 light strokes are all you need. Since then I have added several other Sabs to my line up and simply love their feel. As much as I love my Moritakas and my Misonos, I really can't get enough out of my 10 inch Sab. Keep working on it, and you will soon see what I mean by the edge (if you don't already).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:57 am 

Oh yeah Chester, well Sabs are on the softer side of these so your right they are super responsive to a fine cut steel. I mainly picked up the knife to play with carbon on the line during a hellish night to see if I could break habits of not wiping a knife everytime. So far so good.

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:34 pm 

I cut lemon and limes and onions and everything else with mine (and don't immediatley wipe it like I should) and have had zero rust problems. That said, I don't cut acidic foods and let it sit for hours; but I am not a paronoid wiper either. I am not in a professional kitchen, but I cook everyday and for lots of people. My Sabs get heavy use. What I really like about the knives--beyound the incredible edge that they seem to acheive--is their durability. While I love my Moritakas, I sometime hestitage to pull them from the knife rack worried that the task at hand may damage the edge. Perhaps that is not fair to the Moritakas, but I do believe this: If I were working in a pro kitchen (I once did many years ago), a Sabatier 10 inch carbon would be at my side (of course, with a good ceramic steel). I can do everything with this knife, from dicing and fine tip work to blasting thru racks of lamb. No problem, and the edge holds up really well to heavy use. On another carbon note, I have also really enjoyed my Misono carbons. Of all the knives I own, the fit and finish on these are just light years in front of the competition. They sharpen very easily and they to hold a wicked edge. I have the 240 G, and a Suji and the handles and balance of those knives are second to none. If you really like carbon, you might want to check one out. PS, they are reactive at first, but once patinaed, I have had no problems.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]