It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Choosing a 150 petty? Konosuke HD2 or AS Laser
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 pm 

Hi Guys,

Am wanting a 150 sized Petty.

I have a 210 and 240 Richmond AS Laser and really like them so was thinking the AS Petty might be a good fit...... but.....

I also have two other knives in AS Steel and am thinking something different might be nice for verity.

The Konosuke HD2's seem to be well received.

What do you guys think of those two compared? Is there another petty in the same sort of price range that should be considered?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Choosing a 150 petty? Konosuke HD2 or AS Laser
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:57 am 
Forum Moderator

BRANWELL <> Of the two, the Kono is a lighter thinner knife that will have a much livelier feel to it. It is really a scalpel. I will add, that although I have not used the AS Laser, I do have the Kono petty, and I have enough stainless-clad blades to feel confident in my statement. By design, the ASLaser is simply going to be a stiffer knife. Bear in mind, the Richmond is larger knife overall, as well. It is taller, and carries more height throughout the profile. They're really very different 150 petties. The Kono is more of true light laser scalpel with more of a "steak knife" profile; whereas the Richmond is more of a little quasi-gyuto. Both awesome knives, but very different...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Melampus - you have a gift for describing and comparing knife characteristics beautifully. :)

Branwell - Depending on your preferences, if you want a really nice, laser-ish mono steel 150 petty with more height, you should check out the Masakage Shimo petty: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mashpe15.html. Based on Shaun's video review, they seem to be ground thinner than the other Masakage lines.

The Masakage will be a taller petty, akin to the Richmond AS Laser, but it's blade is full carbon mono steel vs. stainless clad carbon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just love my Kono 150mm petty - I poke at most everything with it in my hand - feels like a very sharp finger extension.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm only going to add that if you don't already have a Konosuke....please get one. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

STEVE <> Thank you, sir. I reckon its from the hours I spend burning the midnight oil studying knives.

ROOK <> :lol:

ADAM <> +1... ain't that the truth!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

I will offer this:

The Richmond Petty AEB-L is just a hair thinner than the AS one, but both are incredibly thin behind the edge, just as thin as the Konosuke.

The convex grind on the AS Laser will be a little more dramatic as it still has that thinness, but spine thickness is slightly thicker than the others due to san-mai construction.

No thinning needed on any Richmond Lasers, period. Or Konosukes for that matter. :mrgreen:

I'd just say the AS petty is just barely a little thicker, but performance wise of thinness behind edge, they're the same for all intensive purposes in that respect, as well as weight.

You can't go wrong with either one, but like they said, if you don't already own a Konosuke you should probably get one. I am very partial to the Lasers though, they're my favorite Richmond knives to date.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:30 pm 

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for the great info.

Steve, I'll definitely look into the Masakage.... that said....

I totally love the two AS Lasers I have.
I got one minus a handle so I could make my own. Made a nice stabilized burl and black wood one.
The other I got with a handle but am about to change it out to a burl one.
Both have suffered my learning about knives and sharpening and are somewhat thinner for it....but no worse the wear :)
You should see my Goko Laser hahahaha :)

The AS Laser petty is pretty perfect from a shape standpoint. That said, I am really hankering after one of those Konos. As Adam inferred, a Kono is really worth experiencing if one can and I do truly appreciate thin knives, so much so, I made my own :) See pic.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b53 ... eb79d7.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]