It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:01 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Takeda vs Moritaka
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

I am torn between Takeda and Moritaka .How would you compare them ?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Takeda vs Moritaka
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:12 am 

I've got one of each.

For me, the biggest difference between the two is that when you hold the Takeda, it's very apparent that you're holding a hand-made knife--one that someone put a lot of attention and care into making. It's kinda difficult to articulate. My Moritaka is awesome and I love it, but I know if I ever had to replace it, I'd get a knife that's virtually identical, whereas the Takeda feels like a one-of-a-kind piece.

The general consensus is that Takeda's kurouchi finish is more durable and I can corroborate that. It can take a (reasonable) beating.

I will say, though, that I like the Moritaka handles better, for color and feel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Regarding the Moritaka... I have no idea where they get that rosewood, but it IS my favorite OEM handle. Just awesome... (for me)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've owned a few of each....say in the near half dozen each....and I've handled dozens of each over the years for new handles and what not.

The typical Takeda is going to be made better. Takeda seems to be more of a enthusiast shop and Moritaka more of a production shop. I've never met either shop, and I could be wrong....but that's the feeling I get holding their knives.

At the end of the day, both will be great cutters barring a fluke and both will have good steels.

There are obvious design differences between the two....blade shape, grinds, handles, etc. I like Takeda's gyuto design....but I preferred it in the 210mm length over the 240mm. Moritaka's is more of that slender, sleek shape. I like it as well, but I really liked the 210mm Takeda gyuto shape.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:23 pm 

I have both and they are great. I have had a lot more problems with rust with the Moritaka than the Takeda. I have worked hard at building a patina on the Moritaka and it has helped a little, but they are still more reactive than the Takeda's. I have just bought two Richmond Aogami Lasers which have much the same shape and weight as the Moritaka, but no rust problems because of the stainless cladding. I am really sold on these knives. Very sharp and easy maintenance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am still watching the post in the forum for more thought. I am leaning for a Takeda 270mm. Does it happen to come on shorter side the 270?

Thanks

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

That's a big knife. Why not get the 240? Just for reference we sell the 240mm in a ration of 20 to 1 over the 270mm.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

.....or ask for a slightly longer 240mm. I have several of Takeda's gyuto in house right now ready to ship back to Mark.....one is distinctly longer than the others and they're all "240mm" gyuto's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:59 am 

What is the exact size of the longer 240mm? I am just having a hard time picturing this particular knife. I don't mind a 270 usually but the width of the Takeda makes me hesitate on the size

Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'd have to measure it when I get home.....but I was just mentioning this as an example. These are all here for custom handles.....so they wouldn't be priced the same as a regular Takeda. Don't know if that matters in your budget or not....but thought I'd mention it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next