It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:18 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond Artifex questions.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

After researching your website I have found some great knives at reasonable prices. I have a few questions before I make a purchase:

1) For the Richmond Artifex knives, what is the difference between the carbon 52100 steel and the AEBL steel?

2) How does the sharpness of Richmond knives compare to Tojiro knives?

3) Does the number of rivets on a handle effect its durability?

4) What is the typical life expectancy of these knives?

Thanks,
--
Gilbert

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Richmond Artifex questions.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:21 am 
Forum Moderator

AEB-L is a very fine grained stainless steel and 52100 is a very fine grained carbon steel. Carbon will patina/discolor and will need to be kept up with sooner than stainless. Stainless needs care when you are ready, carbon needs the care now. Most people keep a damp towel near their board and periodically wipe down the blade. Drying the blade is also important to prevent it from rusting. Once a good patina is formed on the blade, the patina will lessen the reactivity. I prefer the sharpening and edge taking abilities of carbon steel and like the patina's that form on the blade. AEB-L is a very good stainless and will take and hold a nice edge, too.

The Artifex are maybe a hair less sharp than the Tojiro DP, and are a little thicker behind the edge, but they perform well. I don't care for the vg-10 steel in the Tojiro knives. The Tojiro tend to have bulkier handles and feel more clunky to me than the Artifex.

Rivet numbers don't relate the durability. Both handles will last a very very long time and are difficult to remove w/o grinding or drilling out the rivets.

Life expectancy is very high on both brands.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:58 am 

Hi, taz.
Do you not like the VG-10 steel period? Or are various VG-10 knives different?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:03 am 
Forum Moderator

I've tried a few brands heat treatments of VG-10 and I wasn't really a fan of them in terms of sharpening, deburring and edge holding.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]