It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Subduing to stropping
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:43 pm 

Hey all, I am an amateur sharpener but I have been doing it for about a year now. I can put a pretty decent edge on a knife and i am familiar with several different techniques but I am looking for something more and I am thinking it is time to looking into strops and pastes. What is your ideal strolling setup. I am planning on purchasing boron carbide paste, a magnetic balsa strop, and a horse hide mag strop. Does this sound like a good setup using in the order listed? What do you strop with? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Subduing to stropping
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:51 am 

Well I guess it is too late, I was expecting a response a little sooner but I went ahead and ordered the boron carbide paste, balsa mag pad, horse hide mag pad, and a felt mag pad. Planning on putting the bc paste on the balsa strop, then using the felt pad to deburr and also using it in between stones, and finally finishing on the horse hide strop. Still up for advice on the way you do it. Hoping for excellent results from the stropping, trying to take my sharpening to the next level.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:55 am 

I have nearly the same setup but use CrOx on the balsa and 1u diamond on the felt. I have had great (home) success with this lineup. I also use the balsa and horsehide as a touchup on knives and straight razors when needed. I generally de-burr on corks I have set aside.

Enjoy your stropping setup!!

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:46 am 

Thanks man, can't wait to see what kind of edge I am gonna get out of it, plus I have a new knife with a somewhat weak OOTB edge that I have been dying to sharpen. I am just gonna strop it first and see what kind of results I get.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:25 am 

I only stropped my Tanaka 240 damascus gyuto for months. Worked like a charm. Ask taz575 about his Tanaka and stropping :) I just sharpened mine for the first time a couple of days ago after owning it for several months.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:53 am 
Forum Moderator

Jwesly1 wrote:Thanks man, can't wait to see what kind of edge I am gonna get out of it, plus I have a new knife with a somewhat weak OOTB edge that I have been dying to sharpen. I am just gonna strop it first and see what kind of results I get.

$1 gets you $50 you will simply LOOOOVEEEEE the 1µ BC paste.

Let us know.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:56 pm 

Ooooohhh boy, just stropped all my knives and it was push cut city on paper. I am so excited to see these kind of results from stropping. I started on my own base today to hold the strops and that went great as well. Went to Lowe's and bought a steel plate that was 3" wide and 12" long so I busted out the angle grinder and cut a little bit less than an inch off and finished it off with a dremel and it fits the strops perfect. Now all I have to do is fabricate some sort of wood base and paint or stain it and add some little rubber feet and good to go. I will post pics when it is done. Thanks guys!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:07 am 
Forum Moderator

You see.....

Now where's the pics....??

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:06 pm 

I haven't finished it yet, been real busy lately, but I will post when done. Thanks again for your help, I am a believer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm 

Jwesly1 --> I followed suit and bought the 1µ BC paste too. I spread the paste on a leather strop yesterday and let it dry overnight as MadRookie suggested. Stropped a couple of knives today and WOW! What a difference! My sharpest edges yet with just a few passes. Who would have thought!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next