It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 13 of 34 [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shave of the day!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:44 am 

Great post!! (As I sit here at work neck and under chin on fire from a WAY too aggressive attempt at a completely sooth shave.) I really need to realize that I won't ever get a perfect shave on the right side of my neck no matter how many passes I try!! Ive read about the feather system but as you just stated the sharpness has kept me away...too many small scars/imperfections on my face and I don't need any more :lol:

Chris

p.s. Razor burn remedy suggestions anyone??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 am 
Forum Moderator

Lighter touch and perhaps a different type of razor. What are you using now?

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:13 am 

Razor: KROPP 7/8 UkRob Custom Ebony scale
Brush: Neep Inverse Tulip Stone 26mm Extra Silvertip
Scuttle: Dirty Bird Orginal Scuttle Web-Ridges.
Cream: RazoRock Classic
ASB: Bulldog
EDT: Armani Code

Todays shave was fantastic, i had bad luck with my first tulip brush from Rob, it had a flaw in the stone so it cracked, today i got a new one and a extra brush (lionhead) for free, cheers Rob. i also got my new scuttle from dirty bird so i had to try it out. it held the lather nice and warm under the whole shave wow, and it matches this new tulip brush pretty good :). overall it was a super nice 2 pass shave today.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

CHRIS <> I find the AS lotions/gels are a bit better with burn then the alcohol based liquids.

MR. M <> Very cool brush, and I had never heard of a scuttle... very cool.

FYI: I shaved this morning with the "SUPER" blades, and it was a notably easier shave. Still a few nicks, but MUCH LESS! I looked them up & they were apparently designed for tough beards so I took the jump, but using the Feather as a whole is still a very delicate matter... as if SR shaving isn't already. It's still blowing my mind how easily it shaves skin... not hair.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:05 pm 

i think you guys need to try some proraso pre cream... its good for ppl with sensitive skin. and i stil think you guys use to much pressure or go thruw the same area to much. it can also be a to steap angle.. try less angle.

Put on your thinking cap's guys and go at it again ;)

link to the ceam.
http://www.maggardrazors.com/index.php/product/proraso-green-tea-oat-pre-and-post-shave-cream-glass-jar-100ml/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

I simply love just ice cream.....shave able????

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:33 pm 

MadRookie you funny guy you! Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:09 am 

Thanks guys!! Definitely too much pressure on my end...especially on 2nd and 3rd passes when I still feel stubble. I catch myself with too steep of an angle at times and strive to get better at it with each shave. As for the razor...I use several. Still trying to narrow it down to a few. Yesterday was a Worcester full hollow on the left and a Bowdoin's wedge on the right (for the first pass...I wanted to compare the 2). passes 2 and 3 were with the wedge (with way too much pressure and too many passes on the right side of my neck where the hair grows at about a 45 degree angle up toward my ear and I have trouble getting a razor at the appropriate angle due to my jawline) Today, I touched up the Worcester on a 10k/CrOx balsa strop/bare horsehide because it didn't feel all that good yesterday. Only did one pass and a LIGHT touchup due to the previous day's burn. Felt way better..the shave isn't as smooth as I like with only one pass, but its acceptable for work :)

Thanks again for the advice! I really value your expertise and opinions!!

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:38 pm 

Chris. its abit harsh to end on 10k syntetic stones and compunds. that can also be another reason for razor burn.. i remommend getting a 16k shapton gs. or a jnat lvl5, and dont use compunds if you have a sensitive skin. thay tend to make the edge more agressive. atleast thats my experiance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 am 

Thanks Magnus! What about a coticlue? I have a local retailer (theperfectedge) that has some select grade blue and yellow but they're a little pricey. I plan on bringing a razor or 2 for him to hone (30k shapton!) and teach me some of the finer points of honing.

Today's shave was (no pics yet):
Razor: Boker 5/8 full hollow 'fine india steel'
Brush: Vulfix 1000A 20mm pure badger
Pre-shave: Hot shower, Dr. Bronners soap (to wash face after shower), hot towel X2, AOS pre shave oil
Cream: TOBS Shaving shop
AS: TOBS Shaving shop

Pretty good results with a nice smooth finish nearly everywhere. I concentrated on less pressure/better angles and resisted the temptation of too many passes. No real 'burn' today just my unfortunately normal 'bumps' on the lower part of my neck. I really like the scent of the TOBS shaving shop (as does my GF :) ). Also, I LOVE the Dr Bronner's soap. I can really feel the difference in my beard after using it. The poraso pre-shave is on its way (thanks again Magnus!)

Chris

Page 13 of 34 [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 34  Next