It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fav strop material
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 pm 

Topic says it all. For me that really does depend on which compounds I'm using. Plain leather, (pig or horse) is good for using as a steel basically and if it works for Salty, then I'm sold ,(also tested that out a few times :)

For liquid compounds like Boron or Chromium Oxide (pastes) Balsa is my choice for that as it adherers very good and stays flat unlike leathers which may curl.

Sprays: Now, I've tried them on balsa, and they work ok, but for me the really winner is split top leather. Personally speaking I think that the texture lets the spray last longer before having to add additional spray. Like I said personally speaking.

So what is your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Fav strop material
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:49 pm 

Ever tried newspaper with a lot of black ink? Leaves a rather aggressive edge.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:49 am 

Most overlooked strop material of all are the fine grit Shapton Pro and Shapton glass stones. The 16,000 grit is about 1 micron, and the 30,000 grit is .49 micron. Yes, they are expensive, but so is fussing with strops and sprays, which cost far more on a long term basis. No more need to buy sprays above .25 micron.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:40 am 
Forum Moderator

Stropping on the 16k glass can be really really good. Personally balsa and nano-cloth are my 2 favorite.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:18 am 

Try stropping on either of the Shapton 30K stones, which takes you down to 0.49 micron. :) No need for balsa or nano cloth until you get to 0.25 micron, if you want to go that far so that you view a clean edge under a 40x to 200x microscope. I usually just strop on plain leather after the 30K, because I don't always want to drag out the microscope to look at the knife edge.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:39 am 
Forum Moderator

Hard rolled horse leather from Hand American and balsa are my favorites.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:08 am 
Forum Moderator

HA boron carbide on split leather - nice bitey edge.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:14 am 

Followed by stropping on genuine Cordovan horse hide, and your carbon will be screaming sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:17 am 

Which reminds me. Mark, why don't you carry cordovan horse hide strops? L 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:58 am 
Forum Moderator

I've been playing with making up my own laminates, similar to Micarta, but with a different epoxy, and I have been stropping on the handle scraps. I will be making up some to try with compounds and stuff, too. So far, the results have been a more refined edge that still has teeth to slice hanging paper towels cleanly. Also tried factory Micarta with a 100 grit belt finish on it and some 1 micron diamond spray. Works well, too!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next