It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:15 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tanaka kurouchi 210 gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:33 am 

This looks like a good value blue #2 gyuto. I saw the video reveiw and it seems like blade is a good performer . How does it compare to the Morita 210 super blue and blue #2 gyuto a. Looking for my first carbon steel knife. I would like a blade that is relatively easy to sharpen and a durable edge. I have a 1k,3k and a 6k King water stones that I maintain my VG10 and Swedish steel kikuichi's.

Post subject: Re: Tanaka kurouchi 210 gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:56 am 
Forum Moderator

BIKEMAN <> The Tanaka is that - a great value. I don't have the Gyuto, but I do have a couple kurouchi debas and the forge performs well. They're not crazy hard which I find beneficial as they are really durable. Like I said, I don't have a double bevel, but my chisel grinds easily gets as sharp as you can make them, and endures the rigors of fish bones very well. They are low price point knives so the grinds and F&F are commensurate, but overall well worth the cost. Some body shop sand paper will clean up the spine & choil, and if you want to rehandle later on... so be it. The handles are really bare bones. I am NOT one that likes bling handles, but these just have a really "plastic" feeling to them; something about the lacquer.

The Moritakas are still quite rustic, but nothing like Tanakas. I own Mori AS, and it is really hard @Hrc65. It requires respect due to such, but takes a sick frigin edge... I mean sick. :twisted: Their aoniko, I don't own, but I know from those who do it is what you expect from a Moritaka... a consistent reliable well performing knife. The Mori's will have MUCH nicer handles. Their rosewood is honestly one of my favorite OEM handles.

For you, I'd suggest either blue 2... whichever price point fits you. You get what you pay for in this scenario.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:36 am 

Thank you for your response. So the handle and the fit and finish on the Moritaka is nicer than theTanaka. I am left handed so the octagonal handle is a better fit than the d handle. The rosewood looks better on the darker kurouchi finished blade. The blade profile on the Moritaka seems rather flat, will it rock ok when chopping? I am leaning towards buying the Supreme Super #2. Is there a big difference in ease of sharpening Super vs the blue #2. As far a durability I am not going to beat the knife I will be using it mostly for veges. Should I go for the Super steel?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:12 am 
Forum Moderator

BMAN <> Yes, the handle & F&F are nicer on the Moritaka, and yes, the Moritaka has less belly but will still rock... just differently. It differs on what you mean by "chop". In a mincing application, I actually prefer a flatter profile to "walk" a chop. On a true rolling rock for lets say a julienne, the flatter belly still rocks... it's just not a fluid as would be off the radius of a Wusthof.

You "are leaning towards buying the Supreme Super #2." I will deduce you meant you are leaning towards buying the Supreme in Blue Super or the Blue #2. The AS is notably harder than the A2, and will take a bit more time to sharpen... but nothing extraordinary.

When I say "warrant respect" in the context of steel Hrc; I don't necessarily mean by what you cut though veggies can be quite brittle. Even errant lateral movements on a poly board can chip a Hrc 65 steel with an acute edge. Honestly, for your first carbon blade I wholeheartedly and quite confidently recommend the Blue #2. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moao2gy21.html

Post subject: Re: Moritaka arogami blue #2 gyuto
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:53 am 

I will go with your recommendation and order the slightly softer blue #2 blade for the ease of sharpening and more chip resistant steel. Are the handles and fit and finish the same on both Moritaka knives and is the ferrule buffalo horn or plastic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

BIKEMAN <> Yes, the handle is octagonal rosewood, and I'm nearly positive the ferrule is horn just like the Supreme.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]