It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:48 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My new workhorse
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:49 pm 

I've got an Aritsugu gyuto that is classically asymmetric. I'm not one of these sharpening gurus. I don't have a "SharpMaster 2000" or anything fancy. I couldn't tell you if it is "80/20" or "60/40" or whatever. I just sharpen it following the steeper angle on one side and the shallower angle on the other. Works like a charm for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:31 pm 

One thing I am concerned about is wont an asymmetrical edge lead to steering. I also am by no means a sharpening guru, I hand sharpen on stones and if I really start to bugger the edge up I send it out to a professional. My knife cuts only matter to me, I don't work in a kitchen where a head chef walks around all snooty telling me my batonnet cuts need work. I work in a place where you can use a carrot punch if it is not broken and a select few use a knife because they actually give a shit and I happen to be one of them. I need moderate performance and maximum durability but I respect my knives and don't throw them around like the work beaters. I am starting to like the Kikuichi knives btw and I apologize if I am coming off like an angry newb, this is just a lot to process and you guys seem so knowledgeable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:42 pm 

The good news is that you've got a good mix of knife nuts and people with commercial kitchen experience here.

I won't say that every knife CKTG sells is a great knife for me, nor that a specific knife that is great for me will be great for you. I will say that you'll likely be guided to a few knives that will work very well for you and will be exceptional within their class.

CKTG carries a few lines to meet people with very different needs -- each tends to be exceptional in their own way.

There is a lot to process, but I think that the overall weight, blade shape, handle, and "edge retention" will make more of a difference than an asymmetric grind. Especially in a commercial setting, you want a knife that works for you, rather than having to work to use the knife.

BTW, I don't think that my wife even knows that the Aritsugu is biased for right-handed users and it has become one of her favorite knives to use in our home kitchen.

Last edited by jeff on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, asymmetry CAN lead to steering issues if the asymmetry isn't sharpened into the edge.

A. Unless you seriously askew the edge off the centerline, you'll have a hard time noticing it. If you only slightly don't follow the asymmetry, you may never know. Can you really tell the difference between a 55/45 and a 60/40 or a 75/25 and a 65/35? I can't, and I've been doing this a long time.

B. Even if you seriously askew the edge off the centerline, and notice the steering, it's not life and death stuff UNLESS you go really askew. Taking a 80/20 knife and turning it into a 20/80 knife will probably really be noticeable.

C. The thicker the knife, the more noticeable changes in asymmetrical edges are. So on a laser, the edge is so thin and the knife is so thin that it's harder to tell than on an axe. The Masamoto isn't a laser and isn't an axe....it's reasonably thin.

D. Knowing that a knife is asymmetrical is 90% of the battle. Even attempting to keep the edge right will likely mean you never have any problems.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:53 pm 

Do your batonnet need work?

Steering is usually caused by a combination of bad technique (mostly a bad grip) and asymmetry. Until they approach chisel, asymmetric V edges usually don't steer without a death grip of some sort.

If you've ever successfully used a hand saw, you know that a soft grip makes for a straight cut. Alla time same same.

BDL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:46 pm 

"Even attempting to keep the edge right will likely mean you never have any problems."

This is good to know and very reassuring because I feel like I do pay special attention to the fine details when I sharpen, I just don't want to get in over my head and bite off more knife than can chew.

"Do your batonnet need work?"

Yes they could use a little work :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:39 pm 

Well it is official people, my assumed workhorse is in the mail. I was intimidated by the Masamoto's 70/30 grind so I ended up going with the Kikuichi TKC Performance 270mm Gyuto purchased from CKTG. I also got a bunch of the laminated card stock knife sheaths because I love them and it seems like you cant buy them anywhere. Anyway, I will let you guys know how I like it and whether or not it is my true go to knife or just one that I break out for special tasks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ohhhh, the TKC....one of my favorites.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:33 pm 

I am glad you like it because I highly value your opinion. I went with the 270 for added weight and I figured what's .4 of an inch compared to my ten inch chef knife, also the 240 was out of stock. My next purchase will more than likely be a traditional japanese 240 gyutos. Anyway, looking forward to getting and working with it, will let you guys know how I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:37 am 

Well I received my Kikuichi yesterday and brought it to work today to put it through its paces and am very satisfied. It does feel like a workhorse, it is much heavier than I expected which is great and the geometry feels great even though I was a bit concerned when I got it because it does have a lot of belly for a Japanese style knife. I was a little unimpressed with the OOTB edge and I did hit it on my highest grit stone which is only 5,000 before I used it but I need to give it a real good sharpening session. Either way, first day review, I will post more as I have had more time for the knife to prove itself and I still did reach for my Mac which is a lowly Chef Series a couple times and it still proved itself and makes me realize that I still do really like it as well. Thanks for all you boys help in the great debate I was having, I think I made an excellent choice but I am sure I will have to buy another knife eventually if not just for obsession.

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next