It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Should I like Chosera stones?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 am 

Sounds like an honest, open minded test; what more could we ask for right? Let me comfort you, brother, with one word: Nubatama.

Josh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:54 am 

Thanks, it helps :D

I don't want to sound overly harsh about these stones I just don't feel as strongly as some about their performance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:23 am 

What I like about the Chosera stones is their feedback. And the balance they provide between sharpening speed and polishing.

My frame of reference are, apart from a number of diamond stones, the Wicked Edge ceramic stones and Shaptons. If I want to get a knife screamingly sharp, I use the Shaptons. However, I like the 10K Chosera better than the 15K Shapton. The edge gets about as sharp, but it looks much better.

I don't understand why ppl (Michiel?) don't like the 5K Chosera. Ok, it doesn't provide the feedback the 10K gives, but it is great in wiping out the scratches from the WE ceramic stones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:40 am 

A few years ago when I came out of the closet and admitted to having the sharpening OCD, the Chosera stones were my bucket list stones. So today when I hear folks like Jason B (dream killer) saying he doesn't like them it makes me wonder about my abilities to sense the quality of a water stone.

I have the 400, 1k and 5k. I have absolutely no issue with the 400 Chosera, it works nicely for the knives I sharpen. The 1K is a silky smooth beautiful follow up to the 400 but the 5K doesn't provide the feel that I love, I have not used it a lot.

Now the Imanishi 4K stone is another matter altogether, in fact for me, it is the stone the 5K Chosera should have been, the edge and polish off of the Imanishi is beautiful and the feel is great.

I was going to pick up the 10K Chosera but I read a fantastic review of the Sigma Power Select II 13K and once I used that, the idea of the $300 10K C vanished.

I enjoy my Choseras and having 3 of them has fulfilled my dream of having Choseras. (This of course was before the Nubatamas entered the picture and folks that 5k Nubatama glide path is something everyone should experience)

I love my 500 shapton glass as well, it is now so thin that I can see the numbering/lettering on the back of the stone through the front.

400 Latte next for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:48 pm 

My stone selection philosophy goes like this.

If you can, try as many different stones as possible. Beg, steel or borrow. Built up a wealth of personal experience and at the end of the day, you will know what stones are giving the edge you like and the optimal experience in the process.

My 2c.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

That is exactly what I have done.

Having moved past all the stones to currently using the Shapton Glass stones, does not mean that the Choseras, or any other stone for that matter is bad,.....it just means that there are more suited stones available out there for my/your specific application.

In real life you really get what you pay for ultimately......although I daresay that any 30k stone is IMHO really not worth the expense related to the rest...

For the knives I own, my personal preference resorts to the Shapton GS stones.

Keeping in mind that most here are serious knife nuts and focus on ultimate results, while sharpening a knife with most stones (some just takes more effort than others) can be achieved to paper slicing ability, which wows the living sh*ts out of normal people not knowing any better.

I reckon we have "spoilt" ourselves......to the point of readily explosive self-dissatisfaction vs performance - a costly exercise at best (which we subconsciously attempt to justify via any means possible).

Fine tuning to personal preference will most always results in heated debates....

I say, that if it works for you - stick with it!

Using various grit sand paper on glass will get very, very good results....but do you want this....????

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:00 pm 

Well, I've used a wide variety of stones and even sandpaper over glass which is really a good method and produces a nice finish though the paper wears out quickly.

It is true that using a variety of sharpening methods is needed to make a informed decision and I believe my decision and opinion is well formed.

My whole reason for starting this thread was not to rag on the chosera line but to see if my opinion was too one sided or if others had the same feeling. I have used them on and off for over a month now so this is not a short term opinion though I guess some could still say it was.

I was spoiled by natural waterstones early on and my search for synthetic stones that offered similar characteristics was not a easy path. Stones like the chosera line labeled as the "best" was deceiving to me early on because they in fact did not act like a natural stone or produce the aesthetic effect I expected. It was only through hours of research and many YouTube videos that I discovered all is not as it seems in the world of waterstones.

So yeah, personal preference is the driving force but the hype surrounding some stones has left me less than impressed after actual use.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:24 pm 

Jason B. wrote:.....the hype surrounding some stones has left me less than impressed after actual use.

Good summation.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:01 am 

Jason,

Luckily there are many Natural waterstones in the price range of the Chosera stones. Maybe heading back to Naturals would be a good way to go.

Post subject: I like my choseras!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:32 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JehDkDvX-68

this guy's sharpening convinced me and I use a similar setup and love them. I don't need any nubotamas....

400 800 2000 and then I have adifferent brand 6k and strops.

they are great stones. I admit that the 10 k seems expensive to me.... so I can't comment on it.

Watch this guy dull the blade and then resharpen...its almost painful yet he does such a good job.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2