It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hitachi Steel Group Buy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

I had discussions with Hitachi when I visited them along with the specialty steel mill that does the cladding work with them about selling bars of steel to knife makers in the USA. The problem is that Hitachi is a BIG company and they like to sell large quantities of steel but my friends at the smaller mill might be willing to help us get some steel in more manageable quantities.

My question is would anyone be interested in committing to buying some steel up front? I don't want to stick my neck out and get a thousand pounds of steel and then get stuck with it.

After talking to my knife guru, Adam I asked about buying 6" x 36" bars of steel and I'll know very soon if they will do it and what quantities they might be required. We may be able to offer smaller pieces after the initial since I have some friends with laser cutters in the area.

So, if you're interested in this or know someone who might be interested poke me on this thread and I'll see if I can make it happen. For now I just need to know who might be interested. If there is enough interest I'll see how much I need to order and what price I can deliver it for.

If you have a preference for a certain type of steel let me know but I'm guessing the usual suspects would be popular. Blue #2 is my first thought but White #1 or others would be available I'm sure.

I'm sure aogami super will be requested but just know that this stuff is temperamental when it comes to heat treating. Most of the guys using this material send it out to professional heat treaters and they still lose about 10% of their knives in the process.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Hittachi Steel Group Buy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'd get a little bit of it, that sounds like fun!

Can't wait to see what they say :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:07 am 
Forum Moderator

That would be interesting. My only concern would be the heat treating. Japanese makers have tweaked the HT over many years to get what they want out of the knife and I am not sure if the US HT companies would have the best HT methods or if the Japanese makers would share their techniques.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Heat treatment is not too problematic and Hitachi publishes info that I'm sure guys like Peter's can easily deal with.

Sounds like they're going to approve me for steel purchases and will do the size I want.

How thick do you think most guys will want the steel? They can hot roll it to most any thickness.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

For kitchen knives, either 3mm if precision ground, or 3.5mm if not. Precision ground, to me at least, means it comes kind of finished. It doesn't have any mill scale on it. If it comes with some mill scale on it, it has to be ground off before you can start.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:41 pm 

What price range are we looking at roughly?

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

I'll get pricing soon and post it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Hitachi Steel Group Buy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:08 pm 

al depends on pricing for me (im not one to buy into hype) on it but might be talked into a bath to make something different (im sure aldo woudl buy every bit you had inported if you had extra)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 am 

Like the others, depending on the price I would be interested in a smallerish piece...don't need a full 6x36. At any rate though I'd be super interested in some blue if it all works out!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Update,

The steel purchase is a go. I had to buy a ton and a half to get them to do it.

I also am going to share this order with Aldo so you guys will be able to get it from him. He'll suck up what I don't use for my own use.

Look for this stuff after the first of the year.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next