It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 2k stone replacement
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:49 pm 

To my utter dismay I seem to have lost my Edge Pro Shapton GS 2k, I suspect the cleaner threw it away by mistake as I left it on the counter, but I’m not sure. That’s too bad, as this is the one I used the most, more than the 1k. So I’m in need of a replacement.
The GS 2k is not in stock, and neither is the nubatama bamboo 2k.
I have 7-8 knives ranging from stainless VG10 to white #2, to blazen SG-2, and one Takeda.
As I see it my options are:
-Nubatama Ume 2k – not sure what the differences are between this and the bamboo.

-Nubatama bamboo 3k – that would be a real splurge , is it worth it ? Is a progression like GS 1k, bamboo 3k then GS 8k any good ? (I also have the GS 4k) Can I start with this stone for “touch ups” like I do with the 2k ?

-Edge Pro stock stone – probably the 1000 – cheapest option

-Or wait for either the GS 2k or bamboo 2k to come back .
What do you expert folk think ?

Question 2:
If one has Nubatama 150 and then Nubatama 1k and also the stock EP , would he need something in between ?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: 2k stone replacement
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

The 2k GS is a very good all rounder - if you liked it, get another.

:)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:01 pm 

Well I would, if it was in stock...
But since it's not, I'm open to other possibilities.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

...get a cheapie replacement for the interim, then wait it out for stock return...??

:)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:31 am 
Forum Moderator

Question #2 - between 150 and 1k - if it's a soft steel, this jump is OK. Preferable for harder steel is to add the 400 inbetween. This puts less wear on your 1k.

Question #1 - here you have some choices. For the Takeda or White #2 you would benefit from the Nubatama Bamboo 2k or 3k. I can sell you either immediately but I will also be sending out some more Nubatama 2k bamboo to Mark shortly for the EP in a few days. The 2k bamboo would also work well in general , but personally I would save it for more special occasions. It is a real treat to use. The Ume 2k is a softer stone and more general purpose stone. It is an improvement over the Naniwa green brick 2k - which I also have in stock. If you really need a very hard stone in 2k, substitute the Shapton Pro 2k. The other choices might open your eyes more to a broader range of sharpening techniques. Between the 2k and 3k Bamboo, either is a good choice here, but I would suggest following them with either a natural stone or the 5k Bamboo. Regarding the price difference 2k vs 3k bamboo, please send me a PM regarding this matter.

My personal first choice would be the 3k Bamboo plus the 2k Ume, using the bamboo for carbon and the ume for general purpose use and giving you 2 grit levels too.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:49 am 

Hi, Ken. I'm working on getting new Shapton Glass stones for the EdgePro. Right now I only have the 220. I'm planning on ordering in the next couple of days another GS and an Atoma 140.
Would you suggest my second GS to be the 320 or 500? Then what? I'd planned on getting the 500 and then the 1000, but not sure. I'd like to go up to the 6K.
The knives I have right now are some Artifex's, Forschner's, and a TKC Gyuto 240. Are the GS OK for these knives/steels or should I look at something else somewhere along the line?
Thanks much.
Ray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:04 am 
Forum Moderator

Ray - I'm not Ken, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I feel like the DaVinci of stone & steel :-).

I have the Shapton GS 500, 1K & 4K. These work great for me as a progression, along with a leather strop with 1 micron diamond spray. I would think you could move right from a 220 to the 500 w/no problem. The GS stones should work on just about any steel you can feed them.

Then again, you may want to see what Ken has to say about Nubatamas or naturals for the EP.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:52 am 

When I read my post again, I saw I didn't really make clear whatall I was talking about. But you seem to have read between the lines. I was definitely wondering if I need different stones for different steels, as well as wondering if the 220-500 progression is good or if I needed the 320 between them. Don't mind getting the 320 at all. Which should it be, the Atoma 140>220GS>500 or the Atoma 140>220>320>500. I know not to use the Atoma indiscriminately.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:18 am 
Forum Moderator

I'd skip the 320. You want a good bit of aggression to get rid of the 140 Atoma scratches so more horsepower at the low end. After that jumping from a 140 to 220 is reasonable. Of course using a 150 Bamboo is even faster, so if speed is the need, the 150 Bamboo plus 500 GS would be a great combination. If in doubt remember that we are dealing with ratios, so a 140 jumping to a 220 is about double vs the jump to a 320 is triple. Roughly.320 to 500 isn't even double so it is a quite small jump. I would add a 150 Bamboo to any Shapton or Chocera based series.

I would say that most knives can work OK with various stones, but using an optimal stone for a particular knife - now that's a very different question. Especially for carbon steels, I do prefer Nubatamas.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:44 am 

Thanks, Ken. Ok, here's what I'll do if it is what you're talking about. I already have the GS 220. Monday, I'll order the Atoma 140, The Nubatama 150, and the 500 GS. It looks as if that would give me the Atoma 140>Nubatama 150>GS 220>GS 500. Just want to be sure that's what you meant. Thanks. I don't intend on using these stones for a while, as I'm still climbing the learning curve on the EP.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next