It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What to get?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

I'm looking for a chef knife and would like your recommendation.
I like the wooden handle with the tang enclosed and a shallow
belly. I'm not sure what length I would need for a home kitchen.
What could I get for an entry level Japanese knife on a budget?

Thanks

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: What to get?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkm24wa.html

Never seen it, but Fujiwara makes it so it should be a decent grind. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

This is the review I recently submitted to the product page for the Artifex 240 Wa-Gyuto. I've only been using it lightly over the past 2 days, so I can't comment on edge retention yet. The OOTB edge was quite sharp and great for slicing. It did not have a lot of "tooth" to the edge for cutting things like tomatoes, but it went through some med-rare steak last evening like butta baby!

Kudos to Mark on creating this knife! It represents a great value for the money.

The profile is a Funayuki/Gyuto style quite similar to the Konosuke HD2 240 Funi/Gyuto, only shorter. (I own the Kono BTW).

The handle is very, very nice. The yew wood is harder and more nicely finished that your typical Ho wood found in many Japanese (Wa) handles.

This knife has a longer neck into the handle from the back of the blade. Longer than the Konosuke. I really like the extra neck length when using a pinch knife grip.

The blade height is shorter than many 240 Gyutos at just over 45mm, but it didn't seem that short during actual use. I'm actually going to put this knife to use doing double duty as a Sujihiki slicer.

The factor edge on the blade is very sharp OOTB. It appears to be a 70/30 or 80/20 edge bevel, with the 70/80 on the right side of the blade. I'm a lefty and I had no steering issues at all.

I know the steel (AUS-8) is not supposed to be quite as good as the AEB-L used in the most of the Artifex line, but from my research so far, AUS-8 is said to sharpen easily and take a very good edge, but the edge retention is not as good as something like AEB-L, depending on the heat treatment used on this steel.

I'll report back on edge retention after using the knife for a while.

Overall - this knife looks great, feels good to use, is sharp OOTB, and performs quite well in my limited use. At this price point - it's a killer value!

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:46 pm 

how short is short?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Charcuterie - It's listed on the product page. Think it's 45.3mm at the heel.

When I said "only shorter", I meant at the heel. The length is actually longer than the Kono at 243mm.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]