It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:28 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Richmond AS Laser
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, the blades are flexible, but not annoyingly so.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Got an AS Laser Nakiri in for a new handle! 801 chose Claro Walnut Burl Ferrule, SS spacer, Maple Burl handle.

Weird angle, trying to show the laminate line:

Sanded up to 2000 grit by hand and then Tru Oiled. Still needs to be epoxied to the tang after I clean up the spine/choil a little bit more and then sharpened.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:44 pm 

Thanks Tim,

Love the handle! Forgot to ask. I guessing you sharpened the knife? Very sharp. Exceptional job rounding out the spin and choil. Thanks again.

Last edited by 801 on Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, I smoothed out the bead blasted part near the edge and then fully sharpened it for you! The spine/choil are pretty sharp, so I took care of that for you, too! It's easiest to do when the handle is off of the knife to get into those areas.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:21 am 

How did you get those patterns on the blade? (Particularly referring to the gyuto pictures.) Is that ootb? Or did you use jNats to bring out the patterns? Or did you perhaps even etch the blade?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:40 am 
Forum Moderator

The pattern that you see is where the Aogami Super (Carbon steel) is exposed. Think of a sandwich. The bread is the stainless steel outer layer and the lunchmeat is the carbon steel core. When the blade is ground, near the edge, the carbon core is exposed. The carbon patina's nicely and shows a nice contrast. The Hiromoto AS is known for this and some guys even etch it to make the carbon core much darker. I prefer the natural patina's!

The Bead Blasting gives the blade a Kasumi look to it. So on the top of the blade, near the spine, is the Stainless Steel cladding, satin finished (scratch pattern running perpendicular to the edge), below that, you see the bead blasting that give the stainless steel a matte look, and above the edge, you see the carbon steel that has Patina'd and become darker. Gives a neat look! I noticed some extra friction from the bead blasting, so I used the green, maroon and grey ScotchBrite pads to smooth out the bead blasting w/o losing the look.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:20 pm 

very nice handle....can you make handles out of a red wood like mahogany...I would like something reddish like that with that kind of ferrule as a custom handle....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, I can get all sorts of wood! I have some stabilized Redwood Lace Burl, non stabilized Cherry, Mahogany and RedHeart. For the M3 material, I have the White Mokume, Classic Mokume, Black/Red lava, Black/White M3, Black/White Lava, Stainless Damascus patterning, Cobaltium/Black, solid White Aluminum and solid Black Titanium

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:40 pm 

If I only knew what all those meant LOL....I was thinking a dark ferrule and maybe white or red? does white get dirty though?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:42 pm 

something like this with a black ferrule

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next