It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Should I like Chosera stones?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:00 am 

At work we stock a full line of chosera stones except the 1k. The few times I have used them I just couldn't get myself to like them, I keep trying them out when I feel like being different but the experience is never something I get excited about. They are extremely hard stones that cut fast and produce a respectable edge but its a near mind numbing experience, robotic if you will.

The feedback from the stone is almost non-existent and the edge is always the same no matter if its a 50/50 gyuto or single bevel deba. They seem to be all cut with only the low grit stones providing some contrast in cladded blades. The stone being so hard also makes it much harder to sharpen single bevel traditional knives and IMO makes them look like crap.

So let's hear from those of you that have used the chosera stones extensively. Are my impressions of these stones wrong? Should I give them another shot?

I understand they are much different from my Nubatama stones but I feel if I didn't have my Nubatama stones I would never be able to properly complete some of the knives I must sharpen.

Post subject: Re: Should I like Chosera stones?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:21 am 
Forum Moderator

I love the 1k and 3k. the 5k is a stone I truly hate. The 10k is pretty sweet too.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:51 am 

Ok, but why?

I would like to hear different perspectives on why they are liked.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:53 am 
Forum Moderator

I am of the opinion that the Choseras have really good feedback.........

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

I never grew to love the Chocera's either. I liked them, unlike the Shapton's, but I felt I got better results from other stones.

The 10k is a nice stone, but for it's price, I could never justify it. I bought a cut in half 10k and used it for a while....gave it up for my Naniwa 10k SS.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:51 pm 

The only experience I had with Chosera was the 400; decent stone but then I tried the Nubatama. The chosera was on ebay the following day. IMO, the speed of the stone, the feel, the resulting edge/bite was superior on the Nub. I know chosera has a decent fan base, however.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:50 pm 

Thanks for the input, I felt like a was being a little bias against them and needed to hear from others on the subject.

I think I will play around with them today and see if I can find a spot in my heart for them :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:20 pm 

I haven't been able to justify spending two to three times as much on Chocera that would probably be only marginally better than other brands. Though not having tried them, I feel they are waaaay over priced.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:39 pm 

You really have to experiment a little with a stone before you find the sweet spot. Varying pressure, soaking time, more or less mud, more or less water. I most love the 800 and 2k, both a little soaked, with some mud. Very fast, with a lot of feedback.
I must admit in Europe we pay the choseras only 70% of the US price.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:35 am 

I tried them all out today all the way up to the 10k and I still don't like them.... Well most of them.

Started with a 400 which didn't even work, acted more like a 1k stone and was hardly removing steel. So I grabbed a new one and got started, worked ok but still a slow grinding stone for being the coarsest.

Next was the 600, I actually like this one! Slightly slower than the 400 but more fun to use, makes a little mud and leaves a decent finish.

On to the 800, again not thrilled. Decent speed and better feedback but still slower than my 1k Nubatama.

Baby poo green 2k, rock hard, slow cutting, and not a impressive edge. See really no point to this stone.

Next was the 3k, probably my most liked of the set. Gave the best feedback and produced a nice edge.

The 5k I liked at first but its not proving to provide anything my 5k bamboo can't do way better.

Finally the 10k cracker, almost $300 for a 10k stone and it cracks? It also didn't do as well as my 10k imanishi to finish a edge so its a big'ol fail imo.

So its official, I don't like the chosera line. YMMV.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next